what to do??

xride63

May 24, 2005
cherry hill
hello there,
i have a 89t and its finally running well? i got it xmas time and theres been problems and its ogne back and forth to the shop whee i bought it. then the motor blew and it took a good 5 weeks and finally i've had it back for about 2 weeks now. the motor that was put in the old motors place was an identicle 7mgte with 60 thousand miles on it as oppose to the origional motor with 121k. havn't had any problems besides old dry rotted coolent lines i had to replace. i also noticed its difficult to start the first time in the morning (just like the old motor was) but it always ends up starting. is this because theres a problem or could it be other things? one thing that came to mind is my origional exhaust is killing the car and i should get a new system that all 3" with no cats. another thing that came to mind, does my fuel preasure drop when the car is off. if the car doesn't hold preasure when not running could that cause it to take a few cranks to fire? im just not sure if its worth keeping this car.. its slow and heavy. as some of you might ahve read in my last thread i raced an infinity j30a nd lost by 2 carlengths. im not sure if this car is slow because of how the motor is running but i htinkt he motor is fine. i point the finger at my transmission. it is an automatic and i think its eating up all my power. is there anyway to get a better automatic transmission or torque converter? is this expensive, or should i just go searching for a car with a 5 speed?

thank you, any imput would be appreciated!

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
As far as slow and heavy - that is not the way you should look at this car. They do weigh 3600+ pounds and that is heavy for a sportscar, but with a turbo setup they can move!

I have the stock turbo and with the Lexus/550 setup I have 400 horsepower and beat up 2 Mustang GTs, 2 modified Lincolns, and an 80's style Vette at the track.

As far as your issues:
i also noticed its difficult to start the first time in the morning (just like the old motor was) but it always ends up starting

It can be many things:
1- The cold start injector
2- Vacuum leak
3- AFM leaking in unmetered air
4- An intake hose can be leaking - check that big black accordian hose after the air flow meter that hooks right into the turbo

Question: Are your spark plug and wires new?

it is an automatic and i think its eating up all my power. is there anyway to get a better automatic transmission or torque converter? is this expensive, or should i just go searching for a car with a 5 speed?

You can do a 5 speed manual swap. It will help but will not give you a ton of power. Get yourself some cheap upgrades:

1- Replica of the Lexus AFM - Suprasport.com, eBay, junkyards, ask a list member (around $140)
2- K&N 3 inch air filter - eBay, do a Net search (at most $80)
3- A manual boost controller and an aftermarket boost gauge. Up the boost from the stock maximum 7.8 PSI. You'll get more power there. Try summit racing ($30 for the gauge, $50 for boost controller or make your own)

Not so cheap:
4- Start from the turbo back and replaced everything. Get a 3 inch downpipe and exhaust. Get a high-flow CAT and a 3 inch CAT-back. You can even get a nice wide turbo elbow. (total cost around $1300)

*Note that some state the Lexus must be used with upgraded injectors (Lexus/550). Others stay with the stock ones (Lexus/440).

For the above I have:
Suprasport Lexus AFM, K&N air filter, HKS EVC electronic boost controller, Autometer boost gauge (up to 20 PSI), TANABE stainless steel CAT-back (Super Hyper Medalion), Suprasport turbo elbow, high-flow CAT from 935 motorsports, MAXX downpipe from Suprasport (Just an example)

Good luck

xride63

May 24, 2005
cherry hill
thank you.. maybe i will consider putting money into this.. do you think it would be a waste on an automatic car?

what is this car supposed to run stock because the car that beat me runs 16.6's and he beat me by a good two car lengths.. twice one race i power braked in drive over drive on ect off.. the second time power braked frmo low ect on over drive off..

still im probably going to do a turbo back exhaust system first regaurdless of what i want to do with the car. i was actually looking at the tanabe cat back. then iw as either going to get the hks down pipe or make my own. i do not want a pre cat after looking at it when my motor was taken out. cats do bad!

for all fo you good people, this is what we do with out cats here =>
after i gutted my friends cats in his monte carlo
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/xride63/hollowcat.jpg

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
A waste on an automatic car - No. Some prefer them over the manual.

Run stock - someone told me high 15.0's, low 16.0's.

Mine's at low 12.0's.

xride63

May 24, 2005
cherry hill
id be thrilled if i could get mine into the thirteens with the stock turbo
some people tell me i can do it.. and i believe i can i just don't know if it would be ahrder because of the transmission. exiting turns i can feel the transmission lagg so bad. plus i can't get a good launch with auto.. whatever well see. i might just get my turbo back exhaust and a new fmic and pipeing in july. then ill be able to turn up the boost because all leaks will be taken care of and id have less back preasure. then i guess fuel system from there? thanks for helping me out and putting ideas out there.

keep beating those american cars running 12 second passes!

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
No problem.

Fuel:

With the fuel I would get 550 cc injectors, a Walbro high flow fuel pump or a MKIV fuel pump, and the Aeromotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator.

You are going to need the S-AFC or some kind of piggyback computer or the AEM system to tune your car - tune the air/fuel ratio so yo don't run too rich or too lean.

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
xride63 said:
another thing that came to mind, does my fuel preasure drop when the car is off. if the car doesn't hold preasure when not running could that cause it to take a few cranks to fire?
quite possible, actually. since your engine has been swapped, it's probably something outside of the engine bay. my guess would be that the non-return valve in your fuel pump is shot... I'm having the same problem :dunno:
if you have the possibility to do so, try hooking up a fuel pressure gauge and watch it after shutting the engine off.

alternatively, you can build up some fuel pressure engaging the fuel pump before cranking. to do this, turn the ignition key to "on" and short the pins "B+" and "Fp" in the check connector in the engine bay just behind the fuse box.

xride63

May 24, 2005
cherry hill
perhapps.. something i thought id try is to just turn over the motor for a moment then actually start it.. i have installed a push button start and alls i have to do it hold the button for a sec then i cna put my keys in and turn it to the on position. if it starts right up no problems it would lead me to believe that the fuel preasure is not held when the motor is at rest. ill let you know how that works out today when i go to work