What to do when the starter bump doesn't work...

Lurch

You rang?
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxvegas
Yeah, so the starter bump method isn't loosening my crank bolt even a tad. I've got a big 'ol wrench on the bolt, resting on the driver side "frame", under where the battery would normally sit. I've bumped the starter 3 or 4 times, even held it down for half a second or a second one time, and nothing. I hear it impact, and I feel it jerk, but the bolt doesn't budge. What now?

EDIT: there aren't any plugs in the motor, though I can't see how compression would affect the starter torque. I'll try a different battery.

e90suprat

Mechanically challenged
May 8, 2005
Douglasville, GA
That's odd, that methos will usually work, it did for me. The other was is to wedge a large screwdriver in the teeth of the flywheel, but for that you will have to go under the car and remove the flywheel access panel. I tried that and I couldnt get mine off. The best way is to use an impact wrench, if you can get one. Good luck. Ed

Lurch

You rang?
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxvegas
Thanks for the fast response, but turns out I just didn't bump it enough times. 7th time is the charm!

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
i pulled my engine with the crank pulley on...

and when i need help... i got a friend with a snap-on cordless impact. that thing is unbelievably good. i cant stress that enough.... it's worked on seemingly completely impossible bolts.