What to do ?!?!!? Sell or not to sell?

3rdgen Guy

Feb 12, 2008
Queens NyC
hey guys,
So about a year ago I bought my newest Supra. It's a Midnight blue 89 Turbo Targa. I bought it off a guy that was in a financial crisis at the time. He was desperate to sell and I always wanted this particular set up being an 89+ Targa 5-speed with Twin turbo wheels.

Over time I fixed all leaks coming from the motor, put on a BIC DDP, Added A-pillar pod with AEM boost and Wideband guages, threw in a huge mishimoto aluminum radiator, changed the clutch slave cyl. that konked out on me, added front urethane control arm bushings, and other things i cannot remember at the moment.

Anyway, I really love the car and was hoping to do a 2j swap eventually. However I got a call last night from the former owner and he wants to buy the car back. I originally bought it from him for 3500 and he is offering to pay 5000.

What do you guys think??!! HELP

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
do you love the car..?

if not, then definitely go for it, as it's a pretty good turn-around, and there are several thousand other MKIII's out there..

if you do, then don't let her go, you'll regret it..

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
^ yea do you love the car..? cause if you dont you could easily get a really clean mk3 for 5k with low miles on it...its up to you though...that midnight blue looks pretty good...

3rdgen Guy

Feb 12, 2008
Queens NyC
You guys do prove good points. I do love the car but if I could find a 90+ in midnight blue, I'd defiantly take his offer. But I also had this car re-sprayed.. AHHHH decisions decisions. I guess it would be a good oppurtunity to bring my 94 Rx-7 back out on the road for a while. Ill let you guys know what happens when I call him later.

In the mean time I'd still like to hear other thoughts.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
3rdgen Guy;1532141 said:
You guys do prove good points. I do love the car but if I could find a 90+ in midnight blue, I'd defiantly take his offer. But I also had this car re-sprayed.. AHHHH decisions decisions. I guess it would be a good oppurtunity to bring my 94 Rx-7 back out on the road for a while. Ill let you guys know what happens when I call him later.

In the mean time I'd still like to hear other thoughts.

so how much have you put in it..? do you have receipts for any of the work..?

3rdgen Guy

Feb 12, 2008
Queens NyC
kwnate;1532153 said:
Tell him $6500. At least that way you could by another in good shape. Knowing what you have is priceless though, you never know what problems the next one has...
6,500 sounds very nice. I doubt he'd go for it, but its worth a shot. Btw your car is beautiful!

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

dubsupra209;1532160 said:
so how much have you put in it..? do you have receipts for any of the work..?
I would have to look but I'm sure i have them some where. I did put all quality items into the car. Never went cheap. I like the best for my cars. I'd say mishimoto was the only "cheap" product i put in and alot of guys have trusted mishimoto on this forum anyhow. I'd say with paint and all I must have dumped 3000 into it easily.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Kevin;1532142 said:
sepends on how much u love the car.. but thats an awesome turn around.
I really love it but certain things turn me off a bit. Like the targa loosens up a bit everytime i drive it. So after every drive i have to tighten the drivers side front bolt. the targa also leaks like crazy. Which I was going to fix eventually.

He had done a MKIV front brake conversion. Which included rotors,calipers and hub. This seemed to set the wheels closer to the frame of the car, so it looks a bit off when you look at the car. I'd say this is my main complaint.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
well if you got reciepts i'd say around 6k cause thats a lot of espically you painted it so your in it for 6500..and if he doesnt agree then keep it and keep modden it...i think targa weatherstripping is around $70 from toyota last time i checked.....i think 6ks a fair price...

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
Ehh idk, you will be making a good profit...
and 6k could buy a pretty decent supra.
but the other problem is you dont find that many
turbo targa's anymore that arent completely fucked.

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
3rdgen Guy;1532162 said:
6,500 sounds very nice. I doubt he'd go for it, but its worth a shot. Btw your car is beautiful!

Thanks! $6500 is an amount that makes it worth your while to sell for. If you don't want to sell then don't. I can be hard to find a nice mk3, tell him $6500 may not be what it's worth, but that's the only way he'll see it in his garage again. Hell ask for more if you really want it.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I'm with Nate. $6500 is a good, round number when shopping for a MK3. I like the car but the MK4 conversion would bother me. Sell it if you think you can do better.

3rdgen Guy

Feb 12, 2008
Queens NyC
thanks for all our thoughts. I guess I will be leaving the Supra game for a while. I sure am going to miss her but the guy agreed to 6K, which i cannot refuse. I may find another clean one down the road, but in the mean while I'm going to be looking for a reliable car to get around in.

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
Sweet, it's like you gave him a $3500 loan and made $1000 in interest! You also got to drive the collateral the whole year for free. It's pretty rare to flip a mk3 and come out ahead. We'll see you when you find your next one, good luck!

3rdgen Guy

Feb 12, 2008
Queens NyC
hhaha tell me about it. Its a great deal and i wont pass it up. I hope I do find another one. Thanks. Good luck with yours

Ill have it for a few more weeks while i get the Rx-7 prepped for the road. I intend on take off the targa as much as possible cruising the streets.

3rdgen Guy

Feb 12, 2008
Queens NyC
ahhh So I sold it last week and I miss it. I've been hitching rides because the Rx is not finished yet. I heard the that the owner is dropping a 1JZ in it.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
3rdgen Guy;1557772 said:
ahhh So I sold it last week and I miss it. I've been hitching rides because the Rx is not finished yet. I heard the that the owner is dropping a 1JZ in it.

Sellers remorse. Is a common problem with prior MK3 Supra owners.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
wait you bought it for 3500, and sold it for 6000?

-3500car + -3000parts = -6500

-6500 + 6000 = -500

dude I think u just lost 500 bucks.