What the hell is this crap!?!?!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I had some really old (50's and 60's) Popular mechanics and Hot rod mags when I was a kid that had these things for sale!

They pop up from time to time when some one "invents" them again....

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IJ. said:
I had some really old (50's and 60's) Popular mechanics and Hot rod mags when I was a kid that had these things for sale!

They pop up from time to time when some one "invents" them again....

What kills me is that these peices of crap are designed to create a vortex, but if you look at a MAF, most of them have the honeycomb to straighten the airflow. Old school techology.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
LOL not to mention on a GTE you have one of the best Vortex generators known to man built in ;)! (the turbo)

I guess way back on a Carb Motor with a badly designed intake they may have helped keep the fuel in suspension but even then I doubt they'd have done much!

If they actually worked at least one Car Maker would be using them.

zoonwen

1JZ Supra
Apr 27, 2005
Denton, TX
Just imagine what would happen if one of those fins were to break off and be sucked into your turbo or engine !!! :nono:

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
rakkasan said:
What kills me is that these peices of crap are designed to create a vortex, but if you look at a MAF, most of them have the honeycomb to straighten the airflow. Old school techology.

Exactly...
...not to mention that any effect it does have will be totally negated when the turbo gets ahold of the airflow and has its way.

But, this device may actually have some value on a carburated vehicle. On a fuel injected and/or turbocharged engine it's snake oil. :nono:

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
That thing looks like it was made from a metal disc that was cut and bent. Talk about cheap. I think we've all been "ripped off" for cheap pieces of metal before, but this is ridiculous.