What the hell is my supra's problem. :)

silverhornet

Dec 8, 2012
Wales, Cardiff
Nice first ever post. I am on the UK MKiii Supra owners club. However joined here as you guys are doing some kick ass stuff. Im currently restoring my 89 Supra aero. Its a 89 turbo 5spd manuel.

OK I have a video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgp5wwc2wyM&feature=youtu.be

History;

Bought the car with this problem, when driving its very sluggish and has NO power. i mean my Golf no-turbo diesal is faster....

in first, slam the throttle to WOT, revs pick up slowely, turbo (on gauge) boosts to max boost, everything seems to be working, but the car stays slow as hell. same in any other gear only worse.
Its VERY hesitent you have to build the rev's to get it to move. Doesn't want to idle AT ALL.
It had two fault codes (41 and 51 by memory) which are TPS changed that, now no fault codes. engine still runs like a dog.
Drove it 120 miles home like this though it would clear it hasn't.
Changed plugs, no difference.
I changed to a bigger fuel pump, no difference, changed fuel filter, no difference.
What the hell is the cars problem :p you can hear in the video a huge woosh of the turbo spooling, is this normal?
Also to not, we reved it parked about 7 times to try see what was going on, this is from idle to wot till it stops at 5600rpm after those 7 - 10 times the turbo was GLOWING cherry red. That isnt normal?
also on the down-run (let off throttle) tap throttle MASIVE flame from exhaust and bang, yet again this cant be correct?

Any help would be most helpful.

Im sorry if this info isn't useful. Im new to jap and its allot more confusing then the french hot hatch im used to.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
My first thought was blocked cat as well.
My symptoms were sluggish accel, and slow to build boost.
Ultimately, max boost dropped from 10+psi to 7.
Replaced the cat, and almsot crapped myself from the difference.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
So jealous that you RHD guys can have the JDM digital dash it looks great especially for 80s technology usually the digital dashes back then aren't designed very well

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I wish they made it for LHD too but having a RHD mk3 in the states would be very nice and rare I don't know if there are any RHD MK3s in the states

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Local guy here owns a rhd mk3

p1901758_1.jpg

p1901758_2.jpg

silverhornet

Dec 8, 2012
Wales, Cardiff
Well i changed the tb and tps, no fault codes now.
Tighted boost pipes from i/c to 3000 pipe, all were fine.
Replaced filter and fuel pump. (not sure if i need to do the j tube mod?)
Put new plugs in
checked maf sensor by unplugging it.

Need to do timing check and exhaust blockage check

On a side note, the previous owner has badly repaired what im sure is the water temp sensor wire, ill have to redo that, that wouldnt make the car run crap if it wasnt connected?

I want a devorced downpipe from tuebo, seen some on ebay from ca, they any good, heard theres good gains?
Thats about it so far. Car was sat for a year when i bought it, that could cause the cat to collapes maybe?

Thanks again for all help.

Alex