What spark plugs are best in today's market?

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
I thought I'd find a wealth of info on here about this but I don't see much. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.

I have been looking for NGK double platinum, but for some reason, nobody in my area stocks them. I did find these NGK Laser Platinum plugs at my local O'Reilly store for $8.49 each. Are these their new double platinums?

Right now that's what I'm gonna go with unless someone here changes my mind.

Thanks,
VS

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
a lot of guys around here run autolite copper's... just get the correct heat range and gap accordingly.... they're cheap as dirt, and I'd change them myself every time I changed my oil.

(that's what my friend CJ recommended.... he has a tuning shop and the only dynojet dyno here in Greensboro)

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Autolite 3922 coppers. Cheap & gets the job done. They're said to be better conductors of spark than platinums, but they don't last as long. At $1.00/ea (rockauto.com) it sure beats paying $55 for a set.

It appears the autolite's at rockauto.com are now $1.40/ea. They should be roughly $2.00 at your local parts store.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
Suprapowaz!(2);1904170 said:
Autolite 3922 coppers. Cheap & gets the job done. They're said to be better conductors of spark than platinums, but they don't last as long. At $1.00/ea (rockauto.com) it sure beats paying $55 for a set.

It appears the autolite's at rockauto.com are now $1.40/ea. They should be roughly $2.00 at your local parts store.

Interesting. Running the coppers vs platinums doesn't have any downsides? About how long do they last?

Also, @jdm... what exactly do you mean by this? Is this something different than just running the standard double platinums (btw.... the ngk laser platinums are $6.28/ea on RockAuto)
89jdm7m;1904163 said:
just get the correct heat range and gap accordingly...

Last edited:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I guess the only downside is that you'll have to change them more frequently. My car runs great with the coppers. Years ago I used to run platinums and they ran good too. Oh, and I was going to tell you to check rockauto for the platinum prices. Make your purchase worth it and order other things you might need so it comes in on the same shipping charge. Brake pad, suspension bushings, oil filters, air filters... things you know you're going to need. Buy stuff for your other cars and save yourself a bundle. I know I do.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
Suprapowaz!(2);1904202 said:
I guess the only downside is that you'll have to change them more frequently. My car runs great with the coppers. Years ago I used to run platinums and they ran good too. Oh, and I was going to tell you to check rockauto for the platinum prices. Make your purchase worth it and order other things you might need so it comes in on the same shipping charge. Brake pad, suspension bushings, oil filters, air filters... things you know you're going to need. Buy stuff for your other cars and save yourself a bundle. I know I do.

Yah. I guess I can either get the ngk lasers for longevity or just get the autolite 3922s locally. Honeslty I think it may come down to just not wanting to wait for RockAuto to ship to me. I want to put these in tomorrow and I have an O'Reilly auto store up the street that has the 3922s in stock for $2.09/ea. That would work out to about $13 for 6, vs $44 shipped for ngk from RockAuto and waiting until they arrive.

One last question. If I go coppers, how often is more often? Like... once a year?

Thanks again.

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
Cape Coral,FL and Jamaica
VegaSupra;1904213 said:
Yah. I guess I can either get the ngk lasers for longevity or just get the autolite 3922s locally. Honeslty I think it may come down to just not wanting to wait for RockAuto to ship to me. I want to put these in tomorrow and I have an O'Reilly auto store up the street that has the 3922s in stock for $2.09/ea. That would work out to about $13 for 6, vs $44 shipped for ngk from RockAuto and waiting until they arrive.

One last question. If I go coppers, how often is more often? Like... once a year?

Thanks again.

I would say every few months, depends how hard you drive your car. I used to use ngk coppers and they did a perfect job.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
I actually decided to go with NGK 5275 Double Platinums. Found them for $6.96/ea with free shipping so it came out to about $42.

I would have gone with the coppers but I don't want to have to change them as often as recommended with those.

Thanks to everyone for your input/advice.

-VS