what size intercooler are you running?

89whitepkg

I hate rust !
Mar 7, 2006
Lexington, KY
I've looking into buying a new intercooler, and want to get some input. I was just wondering what size intercooler some of you guys are running. What is the largest specs that you've been able to get in.

oh, I will be using a ffim

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nothing to add to the pics really they tell it all ;)

On my car there is pretty well 1 way that everything will fit in there so that's how it came out.

The 4" core was well worth the hassle in fitting, if you're running a modern BB Turbo ignore EVERYTHING you think you know about Lag/IC Volume it just doesn't apply!

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
I have thought of that but blower going on top of engine in middle then ruffly a 2" manaifold then a hillborn style dual aircleaner scoop... one air cleaner will feed turbo other supecharger.. blah blah blah lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
89w: You might notice a touch more perceived lag but nothing that will make it undrivable, personally I like to future proof things and get the very best parts in place even if they're not needed right now ;)

albo_bizak

Jul 28, 2007
Cleveland
because everyone is talking about sizes, my plan is to run around 350-380hp somewhere around there. i'm not trying to go to crazy. ( 22"X8"X3.5" core size )( 29"x8"x3.5" over all size ) is this size good enough for my hp range.

holdbrooks

Aug 24, 2006
Alaslama
89whitepkg;960468 said:
i'm going to be running a 57 trim for a while before I can really upgrade, would a 4 inch still be a good idea?

hopefully I can tell you in a few hours I just installed mine an need a new air filters and 3 more clamps until it will be running.

89whitepkg

I hate rust !
Mar 7, 2006
Lexington, KY
so I just ordered my 31x12x4 !
The ffim I'm going to be using is just a modified stock upper, and I'm dropping the alt so that I can keep my a/c. However, I've been doing a lot of looking at pictures of guys running a ffim and I notice that many run the ic pipe under the headlight and move the battery.
I think I may be able to get away with out moving it, but my question is....Is there any other benifit to moving the battery? After searching about moving the battery I feel pretty certian that this is something I would need a mechanic to do.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, with moving the battery, you don't have 50lbs of weight hanging over the front wheels. It'll make for a definite change handling wise.

As for needing to move it, if you're creative, you can fit the piping without relocating:

Edit: pics are huge, I'll link them.
http://offsite.lostjournal.com/rob/Supra%20Pics/IC Piping 1.jpg

http://offsite.lostjournal.com/rob/Supra Pics/IC Piping 2.jpg

http://offsite.lostjournal.com/rob/Supra Pics/IC Piping 3.jpg

And, pics of the intercooler itself (12x24x4, with HUGE end tanks):

Rebuild%2026.JPG

Rebuild%2014.JPG

89whitepkg

I hate rust !
Mar 7, 2006
Lexington, KY
well, it looks like I'm going to lose my aux fans if I don't move the batt. Is this an issue?

annoyingrob: It looks like your fans are gone.

any thoughts?