What part of wiring harness do I need?

88mk|||

Apr 5, 2014
Las Vegas
Wats up guys an girls, I been searching and can't find what I'm looking for. I'm not sure what part of the wiring harness I need to complete my swap. The swap is a 7mgte into a 88mk3, I already have a ECU for a 87-88 I have a harness but bad shape. I also have a complete well I think complete harness for a 89+. The 89+ harness has two parts one with under hood fuse box and another part that's separate from the fuse box harness that looks to have injectors and what not plugs on it. Down fall is its a jdm, this is the 89+. So the 87-88 harness I jus have the Harness from ECU plugs to oil pressure an random plugs. So on this harness is that all I need or do I need the other part harness with fuse box an all that. I'm putting this in a 88 7mge manual car. Thank you an sorry but I couldn't find an answer anywhere.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Fusebox harness doesnt need to be swapped out. You only need the engine harness. If you use the 89+ harness though, you will need to repin a few items to work with an 87-88 ecu. Also, some of the sensor plugs on it wont match some of the 87-88 sensors. I would suggest that you loosely install the 87-88 harness, and just determine what connections you might be missing.

88mk|||

Apr 5, 2014
Las Vegas
Cool, I was under the impression that I couldn't use an 87-88 ecu with 89+ harness. So if I use the yellow plugs from an 87-88 harness and re pin those using the 89+ harness I can make it work?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
No, I'm saying use the 87-88 harness, and just figure out what connectors you might need to buy to replace any missing items.
OR, you could plug the 89+ harness in after repinning it(without using 87-88 harness plugs). You need to look at the two pinout diagrams to see the differences.
Also, some of the 89+ plugs won't fit on 88- sensors. I think the easiest thing would be to get an 89 ecu, and deal with sensor swaps on a case by case basis. I'm referring mainly to items found on the thermostat elbow.