What management should I go with next? Car took a poop.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Well right now I have the oldschool maft setup (came with the car), that runs like crap and appears to be wired in by 2 year olds. Its really effing up my car in many ways, no boosting over 10psi, horrible gas mileage, overall runs like crap. I previously had the car on the dyno for a long time and it would not tune correctly, most likely due to the wiring. Today something went wrong and pretty much finalized my decision to ditch it and install something else, took me 20 minutes to get it started and for it to idle, it was probably running like 7:1afr. I'm leaning towards the new maft pro with boost control and afr tracking, which is going to total a bit over $700. I'd like to keep the ideas under 1000, as anything I spend on this car takes away from my money towards the 2j car. Any opinions on what I should do next? I'd like to hear from some of the maft pro users, I read the maft pro thread and it appears as though most are happy with it. I would go to lex afm/safc, but I like being able to blow an intercooler pipe and still drive home, I had a bad experience with that once and I don't see myself going back to the afm.

Basic mods on the car are 60-1ct, 550's, mhg and arp's. I'd be looking for around 400whp or so on whatever system I decide to go to next.

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

Jon

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
nosechunks said:
lex/safc and a 700dollar screwdriver to loosen and re-tighten clamps?

400hp doesnt take much more then stock TCCS and a decent tune.

Yes, but I'd like to throw in some higher octane once or twice and see how she does on 20psi or so, lex afm can't handle that much boost.

That $700 screwdriver won't help me if I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, completely missing a clamp, with everything too hot to touch, and a car with a top speed of about 3mph.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
GotTurbos? said:
Yes, but I'd like to throw in some higher octane once or twice and see how she does on 20psi or so, lex afm can't handle that much boost.

That $700 screwdriver won't help me if I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, completely missing a clamp, with everything too hot to touch, and a car with a top speed of about 3mph.

That happened recently and scared the shit out of me, NFI what happened.

If I paid $700 for a screwdriver it better fix shit just by touching it.

To answer the original question, you seem like you want a MAFT-Pro, why not get one?

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Quin said:
To answer the original question, you seem like you want a MAFT-Pro, why not get one?

I'm scared of spending that much money on my daily when there is my other car in the garage that is so patiently waiting for me. I do not mind spending the money if I'm sure I'm going to get what I'm looking for, but I have to take into account that every dollar I spend on this car puts me further away from finishing my 2j car, which I miss very very much. So basically the whole point in this thread is to hear anything that I haven't heard or read, to make sure whatever option I end up going with is going to make me happy and make me feel good about making the car run better, and not bad about wasting more money on a daily.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Ckanderson said:
AEM.

pm for price ;)

Check my post in your thread, I'm going AEM in the other car. Looking to buy one in the near future, though it is definitely overkill for this car. Its for the other one, I told you what all I'm looking for in the AEM thread in your section.

Jon

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
tissimo said:
standalone..

edit: if this is your 2nd car.. no need for 2 crazy modded cars.. lex afm + afc

Yes, the car I'm talking about is not the one in my signature. I'm thinking about a vpc now also, it was recommended by christian (king of mk3's around here, supraguy88t on the forums) I'm going to talk with him more and see what I end up going with, as he will be the one doing the work to it anyways!

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
vpc man! be a true DFW guy and then you can swap it over to 2jz later on.... come on... you know you want to....

ps. hows the new turbo?

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
maft-pro, once you figure it out its REALLY easy. Seriously cant tell the difference from stock and once its running right you completely forget about it until you feel like tunning.

Speed density is a + especially if you blow out a coupler. Car will just adjust and your good to go.

Tunability is great, especially for your power goals.

Not as much support as other piggy backs but theres enough to help you figure anything out.

Its an easy install, so why not? I'm half retarded when it comes to EMS's and i managed to figure out the pro. It wont be a crazy setup it will just be different and more reliable than what you have now.