What makes the GTE different?

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Just curious for future reference. What is the main difference between the GE and GTE that changes the compression ratio? Is it the head or piston rod length?

If I got a thicker metal headgasket to replace mine on my GE, would the compression ratio increase or decrease? Are there any good threads that explain compression ratios and turboing engines?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Taps to oil the turbo are also present in the GTE, and it has 2 knock sensors instead of 1 in the 7MGE..

1 camshaft is different as well, can't remember which one at the moment though..

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
kamikazemkiii;1632208 said:
Getting a thicker head gasket will drop your compression ratio. GTE's have oil squirter's and different pistons and rods.

Rods are the same.

RazoE;1632248 said:
Taps to oil the turbo are also present in the GTE, and it has 2 knock sensors instead of 1 in the 7MGE..

1 camshaft is different as well, can't remember which one at the moment though..

Intake cam is different. Outside of the parts bolted to the engine (since it's a bit of a long list):
- Pistons are different (lower compression on GTE)
- Intake cam is different (more lift on GTE, unknown duration changes)
- Oil pump
- Oil squirters (early JDM motors do not have them)
- Holes for turbo oil feed and drain
- 2 knock sensors

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I guess I should of specified that I'm asking more about engine internals and the engine block, like the stuff Poodles was mentioning. Do the turbo oil feed/drain holes exist on the GE block?

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
steveo;1632422 said:
When I first saw the title I thought "The Turbo." Obviously very close minded. Maybe I am just tired...

this is the answer you would get on SF, gettin off track sry.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
The feeds/drains are there, just need to be drilled. Atleast the drain can be.
Here's a pic IJ sent me about gte block, might be of informaton when you look at your block for comparison

IJ. said:
The NA Oil Cooler port on the block is blocked off with a plate on the GTE (green arrow) , you could drill/tap this plate as a turbo supply/in OR you could use the forward Oil pressure port.

(GTE yellow arrow)

The NA Oil cooler return is in the Pan, NOT anywhere in the block.

(GTE return in Blue)

ports2.jpg

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Built to the group A formula the specifications of the car are a sign of the times.
Engine specification include: Cast magnesium 9 litre oil pan with matching high flow oil pump, Knife edged steel crank, N/A block hand picked from production line, Short skirt Mahle/TRD pistons, prepped rods and full floating pins.
I plugged my oil squirters, then coated the pistons on top w/ceramic thermal barrier, to reduce the temps the piston sees on initial use under load, so essentially looks similar to an NA block inside; added benefit is seeing almost 10 psi more oil pressure at 3000RPM on the stock gauge.
I think there are a few forum members on here that have gone NA to T using the NA block. Hopefully they can provide more specific info? Van