what kind of timing advance are you running at idle, cruise, wot and 10-15 psi?

87_7MGTE

SOLD :(
Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
im building an ignition map, and im trying to figure out how much advance i want in certain places. the map ranges from 700-7000 rpm and 20-210 kpa. i want to know how much advance i should run at idle and wot. currently, i have ~15* advance at idle and 36* advance at wot. is this right? also, what should it be for cruise?

also, is there an idle adjust screw on 89+ TB? how would i manually adjust idle air?

thanks everyone

ATS_Scott

Feb 16, 2006
Corinth, TX
87_7MGTE said:
im building an ignition map, and im trying to figure out how much advance i want in certain places. the map ranges from 700-7000 rpm and 20-210 kpa. i want to know how much advance i should run at idle and wot. currently, i have ~15* advance at idle and 36* advance at wot. is this right? also, what should it be for cruise?

also, is there an idle adjust screw on 89+ TB? how would i manually adjust idle air?

thanks everyone

Don't worry about throttle position, map your timing out by load(kpa) and RPM.

Build a base map, but tune it on a dyno. That way you can verify the tuning with real numbers, instead of the ole butt dyno..."I think that felt faster"

On my MR2T I'm running 30* @ idle.

Low load (35kpa) and 2500-4000 I have 39*
stepping down a couple of degrees for the next load cell until I hit positive pressure(100kpa) also in the low load areas I back the timing off a few degrees under 2500rpm to assist "turbo spool". You will have to see what your car likes. Every car is different so just use my numbers as a generic starting point.

Keep in mind you will never hit some load cells during normal driving like 6500rpm and 35kpa so the values there really don't matter.

Once you hit 100KPA it's time to be conservative with the timing until you learn what the engine likes under boost.

For example my MR2 is very happy @ 22* of timing on up through 270kpa until the TQ starts dropping off then I roll in a few more degrees. If I was you I'd adjust anything above 100 kpa to around 19* until you can get it on a dyno.

For cruise you should be under 100kpa and im running around 32-35* @ 3000rpm. Again figure out what RPM you cruise @ and just adjust there and the few cells around there. I.E. no need to adjust 4500rpm and 75 kpa, or 1000rpm and 270kpa...

Scott
05YZ450
91SW20 (td06 powered)
88 RN61 (good ole 22re) hopefully soon to be a 2jzge
I don't have a supra... yet.
www.atsracing.net

87_7MGTE

Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
thanks scott and ian, that really does help me a lot. im tuning my VE, AFR and ignition maps on a small dyno at the tech. college, which really helps a lot (and its free!).

one question still though, is there a way to manually adjust idle air on an 89+ TB?

thanks again!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mine is a bit different because of the fuel but it starts off very high in timing around the 40 degree mark and drops to 15.5 on the top end of the load table

Idle is set to 26 degrees and cranking if around 10 degrees.

Sorry no idea on the idle air question other than I believe there's a screw under a cap on the AFM that has some affect, one of the guys that know will jump in and answer for sure! (Never owned a GTE here)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
These might help you visualise what I'm talking about.

These are 2 maps for ignition with 107% being 18 psi boost top one being gas and the bottom LPG.

If you click them then hit "full page mode" they're readable.

87_7MGTE

Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
IJ. said:
Sorry no idea on the idle air question other than I believe there's a screw under a cap on the AFM that has some affect, one of the guys that know will jump in and answer for sure! (Never owned a GTE here)

yeah that wont help much now, cause im MAP based now :evil2:

wow! thanks for posting up a few of your tables! that helps me tremendously see how the curve should sort of go. just out of curiosity, did you tune every single one of those points in the table, or did you just do a few in each range and blend the rest? i have 3 tables i need to set up; VE, AFR and Ignition, and i was wondering from experience what approach you took.

thanks a lot! :icon_razz

ninja edit: do you have a VE map you would like to share? ive already tuned pretty well the <100 kpa points, i havent gotten on the freeway yet. i was wondering how high your VE numbers went in boost.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Mine is mapped every 125 rpm I didn't expand the X axis fully so it would fit on screen and be readable!

I just set the major points and the software blends the minors in between.

"VE" ? (My software may call it something different)

87_7MGTE

Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
IJ: i think in my case, i am estimating my theroetical VE at a point in time in the rpm/kpa (basically, it enrichens or enleans that point in the map). im still really learning about all of this tuning stuff, it is really new to me! i will be posting within the next few weeks though of my findings.