What kind of car would make you feel worst if you lost to it in a race?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Haven't lost yet since ive Over taken most of my challengers (Hondas by a long shot 10 car lenghts or more, 1 Mustang GT by 1/4 to 1/2 car lenghth) but id say a TRULY Riced out Honda lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1685170 said:
Old lady in a late model Corolla........ :nono:

500rwhp 7M, seriously traction limited.. :(
(true story)
Hey, don't feel too bad man, I lost to a straight up thug (hoon, I guess, would be the Aussie equivalent?) in a Cavalier who pulled up beside me and revved the shit out of his little 4 banger. Pretty sure it was bone stock. He took off on me, and I was left contemplating dropping it to second to put him in his place... Ended up leaving it in third, floored it, waited about 7 seconds for boost to come on, and nearly caught up to him before I let off. Some people scare me.

destrux;1685597 said:
Yeah I saw one of those festiva's at Carlisle one year. They're called the "Shogun". They're also widebody, IIRC.

When I was looking for a "fast" project car (when I got the supra) a miata was actually on my list. I would go turbo with one of those though, a V8 is a bit too sacrilegious for me. (Speaking of that, I might be swapping a 1GGTE into my 1950 chevy just to avoid having to gas up a V8 or deal with a weak 105hp chevy 235. It's much cheaper than a V8 swap, too.)

Shogun, that's correct. Forgot the name, cool cars though, reminds me of the Clio Sport that Renault made a while back.

And a 1G in a 1950 Chevy? You sure that thing would make enough torque to move the thing? I'd vote 7m if you're gonna stick with Toyota, it would sound right. :)

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
there was a model of the dodge spirit that came equipped with a turbo from the factory, i think its the same engine as the dodge vans that were turbo'd as well. old civics can be made pretty quick as well. the 88-91 hatches weigh around 1800 lbs or so when the inside has been stripped. plus they handle lke go carts, which is why i got my 90 si.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
ask92;1685307 said:
Reliant robin
You'd catch up if he had to turn at all. ;)

FullNelson;1686436 said:
If you like losing, why do you have such a fast car?
I'm the same way, it's inspiring in the way that getting hit in the face with a volleyball encourages you to get good at dodgeball.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
FullNelson;1686436 said:
If you like losing, why do you have such a fast car?

Cause I like winning more than losing.

I don't get excited about losing, I just don't mind because faster cars are out there. I like to see those.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If you're undefeated, what's the point in having any dreams or aspirations? I've only been beaten by 2 people in my current setup, one 550-600whp 7m (that only runs long enough to stomp my ass and keep me in my place before breaking again), and an Acura TL with a ~67mm turbo setup that's tuned pretty well to make at least 400whp or more.

Needless to say, if I had never lost a race, I might just call it good on stock twin power. :)

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
te72;1687023 said:
If you're undefeated, what's the point in having any dreams or aspirations? I've only been beaten by 2 people in my current setup, one 550-600whp 7m (that only runs long enough to stomp my ass and keep me in my place before breaking again), and an Acura TL with a ~67mm turbo setup that's tuned pretty well to make at least 400whp or more.

Needless to say, if I had never lost a race, I might just call it good on stock twin power. :)

Ha, on the other hand, if you visit places like SF where anything under 600hp is 'so 1999' it makes ya feel like fast is unachievable.

I think embarrassing losses would be designated to cars that have a glowing under carriage, peel and stick fender louvers or speakers that play a whistling sound when shifting. -Or to a driver wit a mullet-

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
FullNelson;1687712 said:
Ha, on the other hand, if you visit places like SF where anything under 600hp is 'so 1999' it makes ya feel like fast is unachievable.

How many of those wet noodles daily their cars and drive them like I do? How many of them even own a set of tools, much less ever even use them? Yeah, that's what I thought. If you don't drive your super high power car and give a list of excuses half a mile long as to WHY you don't drive it, I have a hard time having any respect for cars or people like that.

Any turd with cash can BUY a fast car, but it takes a real enthusiast to buy, build, break, rebuild, break some more, and keep coming back...

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
I couldnt justify those high HP cars. Its redundant for me, I like the 60' more than I do the 1/4 ET.

I hate loosing to these diesel trucks out here. Luckily its only happened once in my DD. I have a feeling the supra would not fare so well.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I have yet to have a diesel outrun me past 2nd gear. They can get moving quick, but trying to push a 7500lb brick wall through the air above 80mph takes a LOT more power than most of those guys have. It sure *feels* fast in a diesel, but they sure don't usually *go* fast...

That, and they're easy to shake off around the bends. ;)

jackmk2mk3

being supra-less sucks
Jan 14, 2010
Fullerton, CA
I lost to my friend's mustang all the time back when I still had my MkII. Granted, he had a modified 5.0 V8 and my car was bone stock, but losing still sucks. haha and on a another note, I had some lady in a corolla try to race me up a hill with a stop sign on top while I was driving a stock prerunner Tacoma. I honestly have no idea what she was thinking, so I just let her go and laughed at her.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Mazda 323 or 626 turbo. My buddy bought a 323T for a daily beater while his VR4 was getting tuned...only thing he did to it was put a boost controller on it. He almost sold me the 3000gt because he liked the Mazda that much. And it's quick! Goddamn, that thing has balls, and it doesn't even look like it. Ultimate sleeper, I think.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
The 323 had the BPT engine in it, and was the basis of a 4wd rally car of the late 80's. They may have built it with group B in mind too, I forget. Same engine is found in variants in the Miata, sans turbo...

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
te72;1686163 said:
And a 1G in a 1950 Chevy? You sure that thing would make enough torque to move the thing? I'd vote 7m if you're gonna stick with Toyota, it would sound right. :)

Should be ok. The original 235 only has 105hp and 160ft/lbs of torque being put down through a 2 speed powerglide automatic. The engine and trans are half the weight of the car though... everything from the carburetor to the tailshaft housing are solid cast iron, lol. It makes the 7MGTE look like a 1ZZFE.

Oh and to update this thread... I got an 87 Plymouth Reliant for $250. 92hp of fury. I'm hoping to do a junkyard multiport and turbo swap before winter.

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

87mk111;1686377 said:
there was a model of the dodge spirit that came equipped with a turbo from the factory, i think its the same engine as the dodge vans that were turbo'd as well.

Actually, in addition to the Spirits with the normal Turbo I engine (the van engine) they also made a Spirit R/T with the infamous DOHC Turbo III engine. 224hp and a 5 speed. The engine was co-designed with Lotus. They go for $$$$ now though, just like the Omni GLH.