What kind of alarm do YOU have? Impressions?

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Just wanted to get as much input I could on what you guys have to keep your cars safe. I want to get an alarm on my car before I go back to school.

My main choice was this one...
http://www.drdetailshop.com/V791XV.htm

viper 791

591XV791XVbg.jpg

*User-friendly 2-Way Remote with the
Ultimate 2-Way Security and Remote Start
system!
*FCC-Legal Remotes - No Risk of $11,000
Forfeiture penalties per violations!
*Responder Technology: Unique LCD
Interface for 2-Way communication of
command confirmations and trigger events!
*Confirms all commands with easy-to
understand icons, plus text!
*Alerts users to security system triggers by
Beeping or Vibrating!
*Responder alerts you when
too far away to hear it.
*Only available 2-Way
Remotes with 66-bit Code-Hopping!
*Includes a Belt Clip
*Vehicle Recovery System
*Turbo timer and optional rear
defroster activation output.
*Parking light flash
*Dedicated 1 button start
*+/- Doorlock Polarity Outputs
*One 4-button LCD Remote
*5 channels
*5 zones
*Flashing Blue LED light
*Valet switch
*Domelight Supervision output ready.
*Failsafe Starter kill Built in, along with
Remote Start Anti-grind (active/passive).
*6 Tone Revenger Siren
*Remote Panic/Car Finder
*$2,500 Guaranteed Protection Plan
*Viper quality, with Limited Lifetime Warranty!
*Super High Frequency Receiver (SHF)
*XCRS-4 relay H/D capacity satellite relay.
*Automatic configuration of remote buttons.
*All models are Clone-Safe Code Hopping
*Diesel mode with dedicated glow plug input.
*Complete engine monitoring: Voltage or Tach
*Programmable run times: 12, 24 or 60 Min.
(0-60) minutes with the Bitwriter tool).
*Dedicated factory security control wires.
*Viper GPS Tracking System: ESP serial port

My main reason for liking this one the most is the fact that it pages you when your alarm is going off, which is very handy since ill be within range inside the building the whole day.

Thanks in advance for any input,
Jon

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
killarb634 said:
same one but i put fuel cut off switch and hood and trunk pins in as well works very well

You have the same one I posted?

Can you elaborate on some of you likes and dislikes if there are any?
how is the reception on the remote? Does the paging system work well?

Sorry for soo many questions, but I want to make sure I do this right

Jon

hot dayam mk3

Oct 17, 2005
i have the clifford rsx3.5 i love how it has everything from setting up for it to warm up in the morning to a turbo timer in the end. only thing i hate it comes with one two way pager remote wishing i had atleast a regular one for a spare cuz $75 for a dam remote cost way too much.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
that viper alarm is sweet.

is the price 500 installed what youll actually pay? or will they want more cause the supra is old. i know it does all the remote starting and all that will they try and get more money for the install?

ive been putting off an alarm for a long time just because i dont like the idea of paying a fortune to install.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
When I bought my Supra it had a viper alarm in it. The guy who had it before me got his keys locked in the car on multiple occassions as the alarm randomly locked the doors and after he had it for awhile it wouldn't allow the car to start.

It's the reason why he sold the car (he thought it had to do with the clutch for whatever reason). The ignition system was like locked by that alarm somehow and would NOT allow the car to start...only by clutch kicking it was I able to get it home. But after I cut out the viper system and rewired everything back to factory spec, car started right up and I've never had a problem with it.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
SupraDerk said:
When I bought my Supra it had a viper alarm in it. The guy who had it before me got his keys locked in the car on multiple occassions as the alarm randomly locked the doors and after he had it for awhile it wouldn't allow the car to start.

It's the reason why he sold the car (he thought it had to do with the clutch for whatever reason). The ignition system was like locked by that alarm somehow and would NOT allow the car to start...only by clutch kicking it was I able to get it home. But after I cut out the viper system and rewired everything back to factory spec, car started right up and I've never had a problem with it.

thats also what worries me. going to one of these install places that just slam the alarms in not really knowing the particulars of the car. seems like alot could go wrong especially with remote start and door locks and all that.

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
The alarm works great the responder doesn't get as great distance as you would have thought when the first told you it would when you bought it. THe battery life in the responder sucks buts its a triple a so its not a real problem. I like that the alarm is not super sensitive since i live in a city and you hear alot of other alarms going off when hondas with soda can exhausts pass them. I dont have remote start because i would probally leave my car in gear and start it up so i decided not to put that in with it. One other problem that i cant completely relate to the alarm was my starter died a week after i had it put in so i replaced the starter and a month later the new starter died too. However it was warrantied so it just took time from me to replace it but i haven't had a problem with it since.

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
SupraDerk said:

Must've been one of the earlier Viper alarms, because I've heard no problems about the alarm that Jon posted. I'm getting that alarm soon as well through my employee discount.

-Matt

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
It was probably a wiring issue more than an alarm issue I think.

In any case, I've got an older Clifford System, it works pretty well, not too fancy, but no complaints.

I'm going with a Viper 5000 in my AE86, should be nice.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
I'd definatley get a paging alarm....

I got this one:

120691-magm11.jpg

Marksman M11a Paging Alarm with Remote Start, Proximity Sensor (for when I take the targa roof off) and a trunk popper so I could electronically open the trunk.

There are some that come with GPS features that give you location if you car is stolen, and others that have cellular features that call your cell phone if there is an intruder/break in.... I'd look into those as well. If I spend alot more money on my car (and I will eventually) I'd like to get those features.

supraman06

Clean BPU Supra
Dec 27, 2005
TX
s73.photobucket.com
I've got a Clifford Matrix RSX 3.5 alarm system that I installed myself. It was a PITA but me and my dad got it done and it works like charm! I love it. Remote start, turbo timer, the works. Definitly recommend the clifford or the viper system (pretty much the same thing) for your car.

-Nick-

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
hot dayam mk3 said:
i have the clifford rsx3.5 i love how it has everything from setting up for it to warm up in the morning to a turbo timer in the end. only thing i hate it comes with one two way pager remote wishing i had atleast a regular one for a spare cuz $75 for a dam remote cost way too much.

i have the same one as you , i like it , i still haven' it completly wired in yet, but works good so far, and is pretty expandable,

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
GotToyota? said:
Must've been one of the earlier Viper alarms, because I've heard no problems about the alarm that Jon posted. I'm getting that alarm soon as well through my employee discount.

-Matt
Where do you work?
I work at Best Buy here in Wichita, and I get it for a very, very good price. Can you say 75% off?

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
DaemoN said:
Where do you work?
I work at Best Buy here in Wichita, and I get it for a very, very good price. Can you say 75% off?

thats where he works, and thats why I made a thread on it :)

I get the... employee's friend discount ;)

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
GotTurbos? said:
thats where he works, and thats why I made a thread on it :)

I get the... employee's friend discount ;)
hahah indeed! I was in there two days ago looking at that exact same alarm, and when I price checked it with my discount I was blown away! Most everything in car audio is like 45-55% off, but that alarm was far past!

jdmk3_87t

Take it!
Apr 29, 2005
SoCaL
What about the Python series? Any feedback on them...I've been looking for a good quality alarm myself...this is a good thread...bump...