What is this line for?

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64379129@N07/6391888985/ Its the line behind the 02 sensor with a spark plug plugging the line. The mechanic that did my motor said "You don't need this", well blown headgasket later. I put it all together myself and was driving it today and noticed coolant leaking from this line. Does anyone know what this is for? Do I truely not need this? I wouldn't doubt if I do need this considering he also told me i didn't need my oil cooler for a turbocharged engine.

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
I only remember seeing one line that went to the back of the head and the line for the EGR. Does anyone have a picture of where this goes or the terms i should search to find it myself?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Here you go...

IMG_5148a.JPG

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Do i need it? Or will my car overheat and have issues? Thanks in advance and thank you for everyones assistance it is greatly appreciated.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Ah, that one. It's needed for the right hand drive market only. In later models, they build separate parts for both markets, but you still have the universal part. That is supposed to have a cap on it.

Look at the lower right of this page, part number 90339-16007: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291410/catalog.aspx?F=1603&P=1

You can buy the cap from Toyota, is only a couple dollars IIRC. I'd advise buying a few, and changing them every few years - it sits close enough to the exhaust manifold that it deteriorates from the heat relatively quickly, and if / when it fails, all your coolant promptly escapes, your engine overheats massively, and large amounts of Fail follow soon thereafter.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Yes, it should be plugged. It won't affect your heat - it's not supposed to be connected unless you are in a right hand drive car, in which case one of the pipes on the other side would need to be capped off instead.

Several members here have just squeezed the pipe end flat and welded the end, but that would be ... difficult ... without pulling the engine.