what is this fuse running? emergency!

bluemk3

cool
Feb 28, 2006
h burg, PA
inthe fuse block under the hood there is a fuse intitled AM2.
it keeps poping as i turn over the key

symptoms
all accesorys run and starter works with out this fuse which allows me to believe this operates the ingition or fuel. the car will crank but no fire.
it first poped when i was driving. an abrupt cut and die with no explanation
obviously there is a short somewhere but to eliminate endless guessing id like to cut down the systems id be looking into i have checks veiwable wires but im looking to et farther in and want at least a prospective target. thanks to all who reply

my question?
can you tell em what it runs?
has anyone had this issue before?
what may be shorting ?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Without going into detail it runs the EFI and some ignition stuff. Blowing is sometimes caused by melted O2 sensor wiring or a harness short near the EGR valve, although I'd expect the EFI fuse to blow first in those cases....

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
I have a similar issue , My EFI fuse blows + the AM2 was blown at 1st ...
& belive its caused by a short somewhere ... Wireing related .
So look real closely at your harness , near areas that get real hot .{ 2O yr old wireing }
Im still trying to figure my issue out , between work & rainy weather I havent been able to look much though lately .

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
AM2 fuse is for the ignition switch - which in turn powers the Ignition coil and EFI main relay and Injectors.

blowing this fuse usually caused by a short good luck.

EDIT:wow sorry went to respond to original poster and by the time i researched and double checked myself you guys already got to it!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I once had the AM1 and AM2 fuses blowing because of a short in the engine harness. It was sitting on the inside of the intake manifold and a few wires got burnt. Found that everything was fine until I wentto turn on the parking/head lights. It would immediately blow. I removed the headlight fuse and it'd be okay for awhile. We got lucky my brother's supersonic hearing heard the arc from the harness to the intake and found the short within about 30 minutes. Fixed the wires and zip-tied the harness to the little brackets alon the intake, where it belonged.

Mine popped at about 80MPH while on Alligator Alley (I75 - from Tampa to Miami). Out in the middle of nowhere with my ~7 year old son at the time. Took about 10 hours to get a tow (X-Mas eve). SUCKED!

Basically, check the harness for any areas you may have been in, during the last 6 months. Just walk along everything and make sure that there aren't any exposed wires and/or that nothing is resting on the engine or anywhere it's not supposed to be. I had done a BHG fix a few months before and the harness did not get routed/hung properly.

Good luck!

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
There are two wire clamps that bolt to the manifold and support the loom. On my car the plastic pieces of the clamp completely disintegrated. I bought new ones when I had the engine apart and I recall there were only 8 left in the US at that time (2 years ago). Probably special order from Japan now.

82711-30070 $4.99 Black intake runner Engine wire clamp