What is this black box? I think it's the alarm system.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Well I was changing my flasher relay, pain in the damn ass to do, and succeeded but I also received my remote transmitter key fob and tried like hell to program it but with no luck. I endlessly searched and found a couple of programming guides that did not work or I did them incorrectly somehow. I searched what key fob came with the car originally and got the part number and FCC ID and ordered it from an OEM dealer online. Can anyone help me program the key fob please? I have a 91 mk3 it does have TDSE or whatever and the previous owner did have a key fob but it broke and he lost it, so the car should be able to have keyless entry. This is the black box I am talking about
9013474324_c619bbb70c_h.jpg

I thought this was a button but I don't feel it being pushed it when I try to press it but it does light up red when I am moving the unit around.
9013476946_2d9a196837_h.jpg

The back of the unit says "9001" and has two little boxes above it that say OK with a 1 above it and OK with a 2 above it.
9013620386_983d7a80fe_h.jpg

I have been researching like crazy and still am to find out how to program the key fob I have but not having much luck, I found one site that shows the ECU with a green button on the side and not this black unit does anyone know where that is?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Well first I removed 2 of the silver circle relays, one to the left and one under the flasher relay, so I can have better access and I removed the large piece of trim that the kick panel clips into, you have to remove the piece of trim on the bottom of the door frame where you would step to get into the car. I just kept prying it with the flat head and bent the pin on the relay itself then I found out that there is actually a little adapter that goes into the actual fuse part, so you can rip that relay right out and just remove the adapter piece and slide in the new relay. The adapter piece really confused me because after I ripped out the old relay the adapter just came out effortlessly, it seems that the weird connector on the relay also holds it in place.
Here is a picture of my old relay and adapter to help give you an idea.
There are little clips on the left and right side of the relay from our angle laying on the floor of the car, the clip on the right side you will have go by feeling it to bend it out enough then once you get both clips off you can just rip it out if you can or just wiggle it side to side bending the relay's pins until it pops off. I don't think bending the relay itself would damage the fuse box much but it was the only way I could get it out and I was drenched in sweat, stupid Houston summer heat at midnight, and I was very agitated at this point.
Excuse the dirty keyboard lol
9013933308_d0fd76ae4e_b.jpg

9012750491_2e146f4066_b.jpg

9013937512_1200c68aba_b.jpg

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Well fuck me is my key fob now useless or is there a way to program it for this alarm if I can find out what exactly it is?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If you can find a make and model.

The small box with the light looks more like a shock sensor than the alarm brain to me, Somewhere there should be a brain module, with a better part number on it, possibly a brand name.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
When I was down there I did spot a black box that was loose and being held by the large trim piece that holds the kicker panel but it didn't have any info on it. I also saw a bolted black box above where the fuse panel is now as I was looking into this last night I think that might be the ECU I need to mess with I plan on checking it out tonight.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I went to take a quick look at what that bolted up box was and it's the speed control module, so that isn't it lol. I tried following the wires and I got lost in a spaghetti of wiring mess when I find more info I will remove the panels again and take another deeper look. I just spoke with the previous owner and he said it should have the stock alarm.

Can anyone tell me if the ECU has a green button on the side I believe it's on the right side looking from the back of the unit where the harness connects.

Last edited:

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
Doat;1945165 said:
I went to take a quick look at what that bolted up box was and it's the speed control module, so that isn't it lol. I tried following the wires and I got lost in a spaghetti of wiring mess when I find more info I will remove the panels again and take another deeper look. I just spoke with the previous owner and he said it should have the stock alarm.

Can anyone tell me if the ECU has a green button on the side I believe it's on the right side looking from the back of the unit where the harness connects.

The ECU shouldn't have a green button, I'm pretty sure for the 7M its directly behind the glove box. It's a silver box with like 4 bundles of wires connecting to it. It should have the factory alarm, it's pretty high in there, if you lay down on your back and look up you'll see it behind the dash (Drivers side)

Also those wires don't look like factory supra wires either.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
seoul4korea;1945167 said:
The ECU shouldn't have a green button, I'm pretty sure for the 7M its directly behind the glove box. It's a silver box with like 4 bundles of wires connecting to it. It should have the factory alarm, it's pretty high in there, if you lay down on your back and look up you'll see it behind the dash (Drivers side)

Also those wires don't look like factory supra wires either.

Is linking to ebay not good on here? I don't own the auctions but I just wanted to give him a clue of what the parts look like.

BE_010.gif

Main ECU
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=122

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
What the OP was looking for was the TDSE or Theft Deterrent System Enhancement. And as the name suggests it was an enhancement of the factory theft deterrent system. This was a Port or Dealer installed option. As such the TEWD and the TSRM you guys are linking to are not going to be of much help.

I'm not sure how far back Toyota is storing there records, but he might be able to take his VIN number in and get an options print out to see if the car ever came with it.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
Doat;1945197 said:
i have the original window sticker and if memory serves me correctly I do have the theft deterent system.
Found the picture of the window sticker
Larger pic http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8114/8682766387_b84d352bc2_k.jpg
8682766387_b84d352bc2_k.jpg

It came standard with Toyota Theft Deterent system

So you just have the standard alarm system.

Dirgle;1945192 said:
What the OP was looking for was the TDSE or Theft Deterrent System Enhancement. And as the name suggests it was an enhancement of the factory theft deterrent system. This was a Port or Dealer installed option. As such the TEWD and the TSRM you guys are linking to are not going to be of much help.

I'm not sure how far back Toyota is storing there records, but he might be able to take his VIN number in and get an options print out to see if the car ever came with it.

What extra features did this have? Just curious.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
seoul4korea;1945198 said:
So you just have the standard alarm system.

Actually if you look off to the right side you will see that the dealer did install the Theft Deterrent System Upgrade.

seoul4korea;1945198 said:
What extra features did this have? Just curious.

From CJsupra's site: http://cjsupra.kendra.com/89supra.html

Toyota Theft Deterrent System Enhancement (TDSE)

Part Number:
08585-00861
(Base Kit)

00398-14910
(Installation Kit

Description:
Toyota annouced the release of the TDSE security system enhancement in July, 1991. The system adds the following features to the Factory Theft Deterrent System (TVSS):

* Two Remote Transmitters
* Glass Breakage Sensor
* Horn Defeat
* Car Finder
* Remote Arming
* Remote Door Locking

Doat;1945201 said:
According to that yes but how do we explain the little rectangular box I found?

That is a good question, you would have to trace the wires back to where they come from. Find out what it's spliced into. Maybe a previous owner wanted a more upgraded alarm, and installed an aftermarket unit.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
That CJsupra site is where I tracked down my remote key fob part number from another member on here showed me that site and I used it to find the key fob. So the theft deterrent computer should be right around the steering column under the dash, would that have the button I need to press to program the key fob or is it just a computer? At this point I am wondering if I can take the car to the dealer and ask them if they can program the key fob.