What is the RAREST MKIII Supra?

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Id consider mine rare and one of the unmolested cars on the road. Bought it 2 years ago 1991 White Package Auto Turbo Sunroof with 70,000 original miles. Car blew a head and was put in a garage covered for 8 years, everything worked body had slight scratches here and there, and also had a all original bra on it. O/O knew what he had and installed the HKS hi power muffler, illuminas,and Eibachs.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure if anyone said it, but I think the 2-tones are rare. Dark/light blue and Dark/light brown. Personally, I love them both :)
eric

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
T701jz;1844918 said:
Carbon Fiber MKIII....Yes it can be done (hood,bumper,fenders Front&Rear,hatch,doors,targa...etc).
Mine's a hardtop, so there will be no CF targa, and taking weight off the rear of a front-heavy car seems silly (so no CF hatch either), but I'm about 80% of that list already. ;)

Well, the doors... I sincerely doubt I'll bother with that. I could use the $2000+ on another project.

Stretch;1845204 said:
Not sure if anyone said it, but I think the 2-tones are rare. Dark/light blue and Dark/light brown. Personally, I love them both :)
eric
They're certainly not common, and I happen to love the two tone brown. :D

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
I often wonder how many two tones there are. It seems it would've beeb a popular color choice in the late 80's they are definitely not common though.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
So, here's this weird thing. My 86.5 is this color exactly. My color code is 3H2 which according to the only resource I have been able to find in 3 minutes of web surfing, is the lighter maroon metallic. I am the second owner, I bought my car 5 years old with 50k on it and unless the original owner had it repainted, including behind the dash and under the carpet, it always has been this color. Was there a little splash of these released in 86.5? I know that Blue metallic on the '92 also had a brief 86.5 appearance...

RazoE;1843909 said:
Mojagony Pearl 89's are probably the rarest, not too many of those around (yes that's a factory color with body-colored moldings)

toyota_supra_86_4J7_02.jpg

As a collective, then 92's are not as rare as one may think, as there were only 1192 produced for NORTH AMERICA, there were many others around the world.

However, '93 MKIII's do exist, but in Japan only.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
and I don't know if it's geography or what, but I don't think the teal 92 was rare at all. You couldnt swing a dead cat without hitting several of them here in Atlanta. All turbo and all automatic. Seeing any 92 Supra that WASN'T teal was a novelty. 1992 was the year of teal for every maker, it seemed. The 92 Integra GSR comes to mind immediately...

I doubt the info is readily available but I'd be interested in seeing what per centage of the North American 92's were teal. I would bet it's high.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
iruyle;1868231 said:
and I don't know if it's geography or what, but I don't think the teal 92 was rare at all. You couldnt swing a dead cat without hitting several of them here in Atlanta. All turbo and all automatic. Seeing any 92 Supra that WASN'T teal was a novelty. 1992 was the year of teal for every maker, it seemed. The 92 Integra GSR comes to mind immediately...

I doubt the info is readily available but I'd be interested in seeing what per centage of the North American 92's were teal. I would bet it's high.
Jeff Lange could probably provide that information. I have a book with total production numbers, but I believe it only covers the model itself, not what options they had. Still hard to believe there were so many of those though, perhaps you had a Toyota dealer whose owner LOVED the Supra, and teal was his favorite color? That might explain the above average numbers... I've only seen maybe 3 or 4 of them my entire life in person.

Plus, it was the 90's dude... teal was the shit back then! :D

beachmaster

Jun 29, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
I've been in love with and have followed the Supra since the MKII days and I have never seen a teal Supra in person (South Louisiana). Gurley's Supra is stunning. Just beautiful.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
I have a two tone. 21C. I know there are a few out there. My last count based on who chimes in was like less than 10. Also, on toyota reference you can see that the two-tone blue was only offered one year for each combination just like the teal was only offered one year. I too wish there was a way to see exactly how many are left and which is actually the rarest in the US market. By rare I dont mean the least production I mean actually still on the road.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
I believe teal was actually one of the rarest..Super Red II was the most common color IIRC, and teal was only available in the last year or two, which already had low numbers.

As far as two tones, check out this beautiful example. I believe this color combo was 87 only, and the blue two tone was 88 only:
p1869120_1.jpg

p1869120_2.jpg

p1869120_3.jpg