Motley Crue
Cinderella

and just because I like Warrant doesn't mean I'm gay..............:biglaugh:

Edit: I see Pete mentioned AC/DC.......I shoulda known.:biglaugh:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Back in Black! YES! How could I forget that? I know almost every lyric to every song on there front to back. Has to be one of the best and most timeless albums out there. I mean, it sounds like it was recorded earlier this afternoon.

Good job Jay!:icon_bigg

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Quin;1046298 said:
I love RATM as much as I love my Supra

That does not qualify their music as rock, or for greatness.

They sound great, but have you ever really read some of their lyrics? I found that in the past when I have said that I like RATM, Disturbed or Tool, people sometimes equate me to a militant pagan. Just because the music sounds good does not mean I agree with the message they are sending; Just because the sound is pleasing to the ear does not mean the message is pleasing to the brain.

Maybe I would enjoy their lyrics a little more if I was a supporter of MEChA or some other anti-American foundation.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
^^ LOL, thats rediculous. I am not a Viking, nor do I support pillage and plunder, but I still think Zeppelin's Imigrant Song kicks rock and roll ass.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
theWeezL;1046417 said:
^^ LOL, thats rediculous. I am not a Viking, nor do I support pillage and plunder, but I still think Zeppelin's Imigrant Song kicks rock and roll ass.
It's not ridiculous.
The Viking days of pillage and plunder are not happening now, nor were they when Led Zeppelin wrote Immigrant Song - RATM supports the issue of revolution today. I'm not saying that RATM doesn't have good music. What I am saying is that it doesn't seem like real rock music.
IE: It doesn't belong on the list. Neither does Disturbed or Godsmack.
The rest of the stuff about politics was a side note.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
drunk_medic;1046360 said:
That does not qualify their music as rock, or for greatness.

They sound great, but have you ever really read some of their lyrics? I found that in the past when I have said that I like RATM, Disturbed or Tool, people sometimes equate me to a militant pagan. Just because the music sounds good does not mean I agree with the message they are sending; Just because the sound is pleasing to the ear does not mean the message is pleasing to the brain.

Maybe I would enjoy their lyrics a little more if I was a supporter of MEChA or some other anti-American foundation.

Same. I'm not a crazy, hate the world kind of guy, their music just gets me pumped. Some of their songs I agree with, some I don't. I definitely agree with Morello's nasty guitar skills and de la Rocha's vocal stylings, even if the verses get a little crazy sometimes. Their music is definitely not direct rock, either. I voted for Joshua Tree because DSOTM wasn't there for some reason. I don't see any reason to put Disturbed up there, I personally think 98% of their music is absolute shit.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
drunk_medic;1046360 said:
I found that in the past when I have said that I like RATM, Disturbed or Tool, people sometimes equate me to a militant pagan.

People are stupid.

Music is art, and good art is driven by a need for expression. If I say I like Van Gogh, should people think I'm going to cut my ear off and send it to a hooker?

x10secondzx2

I love you.
Nov 25, 2007
Viera, Florida
www.myspace.com
WTF!?!?
Why is disturbed and godsmack on this list. I don't think I can think of two more generic and mainstream sounding bands. Whatever I respect your choice in music. Led Zeppelin is amazing but I went with the vote of other.
I like heavier music so my vote is definitely the album..
Bless The Martyr And Kiss The Child
By
Norma Jean.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Godsmacks first album was ok...Awake is what put them on the boards....so Awake should be up there.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Tanya;1046035 said:
Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon

+1

Also, don't forget to have the music from Woodstock. I have the album that was a recording of that, and I think that would take the cake.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Tool - Lateralus. It might be fair to say that album changed my life and gave me an entire new outlook on pretty much everything. If that makes sense. And to be fair, their next album 10,000 Days was just as good in my opinion. Well, really i guess it would be fair to say that i LOVE eveything these guys have put out there. Absolutly amazing.

What id like to know is does no one here like Iron Maiden? Their Number Of The Beast album was absolutly amazing, and for me, a close second would go to their Dance Of Death Album. Maybe not old enough to be considered a classic yet? Im not sure.

Its hard to define a classic, because its all based on personal preference. What might be a classic to some, may not be a classic to others. I can agree that everything posted so far does kick ass, and i think ive got pretty much all of it on my ipod. (except U2, they're hit and miss for me)

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Let me clear up the Woodstock thing first. I tried and succeeded to not have any compilations, or greatest hits albums on the list. The reason for that is, I wanted to know what the greatest work of art is. I didn't want a "who is the best band thread.

Second......These choices are not all mine. I asked 10+ people their thoughts first, and got a little of a cross section. I definitely should have had the Pink Floyd on the list but forgot. That omission may have been caused by my hatred for the band. I think they are WAYYYYYYYY overrated, and would get their ass handed to them in any competition with any of the bands mentioned, as long as the category isn't sales. Just my opinion....they were never hard enough for ME! But they should have been included.

x10secondzx2;1046511 said:
WTF!?!?
Why is disturbed and godsmack on this list. I don't think I can think of two more generic and mainstream sounding bands. Whatever I respect your choice in music. Led Zeppelin is amazing but I went with the vote of other.
I like heavier music so my vote is definitely the album..
Bless The Martyr And Kiss The Child
By
Norma Jean.

Who is Norma Jean? I like the heavy stuff.

Godsmack has many great albums. It was suggested to use the first as it was eye opening. Not my choice! They are 1 of the top 3 live bands I have ever seen. The other 2 are Avenged Sevenfold and Sevendust, neither of which are on the list.

Disturbed WAS my choice. The Sickness is a fantastic album in the definition of the list. Hate me for that one........Quin.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
ForcedTorque;1046579 said:
Let me clear up the Woodstock thing first. I tried and succeeded to not have any compilations, or greatest hits albums on the list. The reason for that is, I wanted to know what the greatest work of art is. I didn't want a "who is the best band thread.

Ahh, because IMO that is the greatest live compilation ever. I think I am going to listen to it when I get home :)

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
ForcedTorque;1046579 said:
~Snip~

Disturbed WAS my choice. The Sickness is a fantastic album in the definition of the list. Hate me for that one........Quin.

Will do:evil2:

:sarcasm:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Don't take offense Quin!!!!!!!!!

I was going to quote this:

Quin;1046298 said:
I love RATM as much as I love my Supra

And say that you must be my long lost brother. I don't understand your hatred of Disturbed tho. They rock, but are stiff as hell on stage, all while sounding identical to the record, in a non lipsync'd way. I'm not impressed with their live show.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
CryoSlash;1046740 said:
AIC Facelift > Dirt. But Dirt > the rest there :)
You should Put up Appetite For Destruction on there.

I really think that the AIC Unplugged album was a showcase of their best work, done very well. I would go as far as saying that seeing it presented in acoustic medium mellows them tremendously away from "metal" and more towards "rock".