Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
As a rocker, I want this to be Rock only. I'm gonna post a poll, and give you some options. I've been asking people around me for a week or so now. It's strange how opinions vary. Here's some that I have come up with from myself and others. They are in no particular order, except for the first being MY top choice. Every one of the others could be considered by anyone else as the best, or just grotest. To be a great album, I feel that the album must be just amazing from start to finish

1. Alice in Chains - Dirt

2. Whitesnake - self titled

3. Eagles - Hotel California

4. Red Hot Chile Peppers - Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic

5. Pearl Jam - Ten

6/7. Led Zeppelin - II or IV

8. U2 - The Joshua Tree

9. Van Halen - 1

10. Godsmack - 1

11. Disturbed - The Sickness

12. Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean BLVD

13. Reserved

14. Reserved

15. Other

I don't know if you can modify a pol, so I reserved 13 and 14. I will add some in there if they are suggested. I'm sure I have missed some of the Obvious. Suggest them. If you pick other, be sure to post what you think is better.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
I couldn't pick any one album, but I'll throw a few more choices out there. :)

Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Tool - Lateralus (actually I might pick this one, fucking deep album)
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
White Zombie - Astrocreep 2000

As an aside, look at the logo inside the jacket for Alice in Chains' Dirt album, which contains a song called "Godsmack." Now look at the logo on the Godsmack self-titled album. Notice any similarities? :)

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I really don't think that there is much music that has been made after the 1980's that can be truly classified as rock - and by that, I mean plain and simple "Rock Music".
Not pop-rock, grunge, alt-rock, indy-rock, etc.
You should have left it more at the classic rock level. No matter how much I like Alice in Chains and Metallica, they don't really compare to Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd.
Plus, why is Rush not on here? I hate Geddy Lee's voice, but they can play some damn music.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
of the choices listed I gotta go with Led Zep, but I feel some serious contenders are missing from the list. My top 3 would be:

1. Nirvana - Nevermind
2. AC/DC - Highway to Hell and/or Back in Black
3. Def Leopard - Pyromania

Honorable mentions:
Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
Rage Against the Machine - Self titled
Rush - 2112
U2 - Joshua Tree
Motley Crue - Shout at the devil
Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo

edit: woah, something happened to my formatting there. Cleaned that up a little

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
rtrdpenguin;1046105 said:
For me it's probably Boston's first album. It's one of those albums that doesn't have a single song that you want to skip.

I can agree with that. Boston 1979 was my first concert. I went with my Mom, and watched as a guy offered her a joint. To this day i don't know if it took any restraint for her to not take it. Opening act that night was Sammy Hagar solo, long before the wimpy days of "I can't drive 55".

benchwarmer;1046127 said:
Boston 1
Metallica's Black Album
Dark Side of the Moon(how the hell is that not in the poll?)

Read the above quote on Boston. Then read post #3 for answers to the other 2. Aw Hell, I'll just say Floyd was planned as an option, but forgotten. I personally never liked them much at all. I wanted to do the black album, but I didn't want to see it posted too many times that 1/2 of their own fans hate that album.

Blind Melon, Green Day...........Please stick with bands that would at least be Widely recognized as the best. Both are good albums, but not quite on the same plane.

I know there are many that were overlooked. I mean how could I leave out such giants as The Beatles, Aerosmith, Bob Dylan, Journey, Styx, Nugent, Kiss, AC/DC, and more. I left off several personal favorites so I could try to list as many as I could from different styles. I wish I could have listed Queensryche, Y&T, Tesla, Dokken (nobody listened, now they are trashed for all hair bands), Scorpions, Ozzy, Megadeath, and many more.

*******EDIT**********Damn it Pete, you got in while I typed. Very good post! Any fan of the Double live Gonzo is a friend of mine! 3 of your first HM's were mentioned in my talks, and I somehow omitted them. Joshua tree is on the list. I don't recognize Def Leppard as on that plane, but I did love them for a good while. On thru the night/High and Dry were better.

Drunk medic........You said why I didn't like Rush as much as everyone else. 2112 IS a good one though.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Well if we are going to rule out certain albums because the band hasnt reached legendary status I feel you have to remove Whitesnake and Disturbed. Whitesnake was only good because of Tawny Kitaen's hood grind, and really werent even the close to greatest of the hair bands. My opinion is that Motley Crue should hold that spot, or even Poison, but definately not WS. Disturbed, while one of my favorite bands doesnt have a big enough body of work IMHO to be even close to some of the ones on my list and your followup post with groups like Styx, The Beatles, etc. I might even have to exclude Godsmack for the same reason.

I see the point of including different sub-genres though. If you wanted it to be all inclusive there would have to be a spot for groups like The Clash, Devo, The Cars, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Dead Kennedys, etc. I just kinda saw the OP and poll as a classic rock/modern rock list.

Its almost impossible to get a consensus on this kind of topic, but it appears there is a huge fan base for Pink floyds - DSotM and I would agree that start to finish thats about as good as it gets, although personally I prefer "The Wall" more. Also if we go so far as to include The Beatles, Im gonna have to say the list is incomplete without "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band"

I think if you're looking for the greatest album overall it needs to be one where ALL the songs on it are good, and a lot of them listed just don't cut it (in my opinion of course). AC/DC has great songs overall but there are always 1 or 2 on each album I don't like. I'm finding it hard to think of an album other than Boston that I like every track to the point where I at least won't skip one. If I'm in the mood for it I can do that with Dark Side of the Moon too I guess.