What is the best piggyback system?

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
Hey guys i have some problems on what piggyback systems are the best set up for me, I have a lot of mods I just do not have the money to buy expensive standalones. I was thinking the apexi neo might be what I need but I want advise from some people who have done electric tuning in the past. Thanks guys

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
It really depends on what you want to do with the car..and your mods.. If you want to ditch the AFM and run in speed density, MAFT Pro seems to be the norm. If you are running the stock AFM or a bigger ls400 unit then any other piggyback(like the Apexi SAFC) will work fine.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
WhtMa71;1451963 said:
It really depends on what you want to do with the car..and your mods.. If you want to ditch the AFM and run in speed density, MAFT Pro seems to be the norm. If you are running the stock AFM or a bigger ls400 unit then any other piggyback(like the Apexi SAFC) will work fine.

What he said.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Sub'd.

I don't know much about electronics, but I do know that there's no "best" across the board. It all depends on you, your car, and your plans. List up your mods, plans, and driving style and I'm sure the guys can help you find what you need.

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
i have a rebuild 7mgte, hks mhg, custom intake manifold garret t3t4 ball bearing, egr deleted, front mount intercooler, 3" intercooler pipping, 3" apexi exhaust, custom intake, 38mm wastegate (tial) rebuild r154 with marlin crawler thrust washer gears , bearings and syncro kit, many others.

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
Sounds like a stand alone could do you wonders, but then again you can always go MAFT-Pro, or use a MAPECU, Theres SAFC's (I use a NEO), theres all the oldschool HKS stuff. Too many piggybacks to say 1 is the best.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Can you go standalone with afm? just curious i am still learning the tuning myself. my car is stock for now, gonna do more to it once i am more familiarized with the whole tuning bit.

I would like to get all that down and work my engine around what tuning capabilities i have.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Neodeuccio;1452129 said:
Sub'd.

I don't know much about electronics, but I do know that there's no "best" across the board. It all depends on you, your car, and your plans. List up your mods, plans, and driving style and I'm sure the guys can help you find what you need.

as Neo stated it. There is no such thing as Best.

Best at what?

Going up in the proverbial smoke? Adjustment? Shitting diamonds?

Best is ambigous and subjective. Need to quantify your statement with a LOT more detail.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
89supra7mgte;1455001 said:
Can you go standalone with afm? just curious i am still learning the tuning myself. my car is stock for now, gonna do more to it once i am more familiarized with the whole tuning bit.

I would like to get all that down and work my engine around what tuning capabilities i have.

The afm is a restriction. Using a system that allows you to ditch it is a benefit. I dont see why you would want to.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
lewis15498;1455141 said:
The afm is a restriction. Using a system that allows you to ditch it is a benefit. I dont see why you would want to.

because instead of guessing, the AFM MEASURES. Measuring is always better than guessing and yes, speed density IS guessing.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
i was only asking about the afm cause i been trying to do more research on products such as maft pro and safc units. I know the maft is speed density and does away with the afm. And from what i can gather the safc still uses the afm, both being piggy backs i believe. So what does the safc do exactly? readjust what the computer sees as incoming air? i am still learning about these systems

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
figgie;1455174 said:
because instead of guessing, the AFM MEASURES. Measuring is always better than guessing and yes, speed density IS guessing.

My MoTeC guy says the same thing the AFM is the more accurate system :)
(I'm lazy and always go MAP based)

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
Im most likey going standalone but i want a megasquirt set sounds alot better then alot of the aem expensive deals but i have hardly seen a mega on a 7m ive seen greedy aem and haltech i would rather try to save money for tuning in spring.