What is Motorkote?

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
I recently met a guy that was a salesman for this product and he was quite excited over how amazing it was telling all sorts of stories of endurance tests and the like so i asked him for the brochure on its specs and chatted some before partings ways.
I'm pretty much skeptical about anything these days so i thought about Jdub straight away and figured he'd be able to give me some ammunition to fire back at him next time we cross paths.
Here's the usual claims:
-Reduces friction, heat, wear and noise
-Increases Hp and torque
-Improves fuel mileage
-Extends oil life by 50%
Fully compatible with all types of lubricants.
Physical Characteristics
API Gravity @ 60F D-1550 1.06
Boiling Point D-2892 >380F
Flash Point D-92-93 >300F
Pour Point D-97 >-30F
Viscosity : SUS @ 100f D-2270 220
CPS @ 77F D-341 41
Operating temp. Low -80F
Max sustained 350F
Max intermittent 400F
https://www.motorkote.com/
here's there website.
Thanks in Advance Jdub if you can give me any tips on exposing some of there marketing B.S.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The problem is it's impossible to decipher what's actually in it. The site does say that it does not contain any solids (lite PTFE in Slick 50) or and of the chlorinated anti friction products like those used in machine work...both are bad for a motor BTW. Stuff like Bardahl, Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil are in the same boat. These products contain solvents or detergents such as kerosene, naphthalene, xylene, acetone or isopropanol....you won't catch me using any of the above.

Soluble moly and ZDDP are a different story. Both are very good anti-wear additives in oil, when used in moderation. More is not necessarily better and most good motor oils contain one or both. Adding additional amounts can upset the oil chemistry...they don't pay petro engineers big bucks for nothing you know ;)

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
As a rule, I avoid additives, of all sorts. They almost all prove one way or another to be snake oil, with some notable exceptions as jdub pointed out.

To learn that an oil additive has xylene or acetone is just downright disturbing!

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It's interesting the CEO (William Beichner) had a former high level job at Quaker State's Chemical Division - care to guess who makes Slick 50? ;)

Any additive that states "it chemically bonds to the metal" is suspect from the get go. There are many chemicals that are attracted to steel at the molecular level...you can pretty much make this claim for anything. Second, any product that relies on "testimonials" with out providing any real facts is just as JJ stated:
jetjock;1479516 said:
Comes from squeezing snakes...

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
After reading many of jdubs advice on these miracles in a bottle i had no desire to use it myself, mostly wanted confirmation on it's marketing b.s before opening my big mouth.
Would this be the type of product that could be used as an assembly lube?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I don't know why one would use it as such when there are products available for that purpose.

Just remember what happens when you argue with an idiot ;)

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
jdub;1479627 said:
Just remember what happens when you argue with an idiot ;)
You always lose. haha

snake-oil.jpg