What is a collapsing upper radiator hose a sign of?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I just got my car back up and running after 2+ years. I've been taking it out on short runs to make sure nothing is going to fall off before I start using it as my daily driver. :biglaugh:

I noticed tonight that my upper radiator hose is collapsing. My temp is fine. What could cause this?

Bad/weak hose, air in the cooling system, BHG (man I hope not!), or all of the above.

Thanks...

Jason T

JZS161 Aristo TT
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland New Zealand..Aotearoa
CajunKenny;895557 said:
I just got my car back up and running after 2+ years. I've been taking it out on short runs to make sure nothing is going to fall off before I start using it as my daily driver. :biglaugh:

I noticed tonight that my upper radiator hose is collapsing. My temp is fine. What could cause this?

Bad/weak hose, air in the cooling system, BHG (man I hope not!), or all of the above.

Thanks...

Bad radiator cap not letting water to sucked back in from overflow

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
JustAnotherVictim;895800 said:
Mine did that when the bhg happened.

I certainly don't like the sound of that!! :nono:

I guess I better keep an eye on things and do some checks! Did you have any other signs to go with the collapsing hose?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yeah, I noticed it on cool down.

I just went and checked my oil. The oil is fresh, like 20 miles on it, maybe. And it looks a little thin and not 'Honey' colored anymore. BHG?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yeah, not as thick. He He...nope, it's not pink! It seems to be gray colored almost. I put some drops from the dipstick onto white paper looking for green; but, it's hard to tell. Nope, nothing ran hot. Temps stay good.

I'm really worried I've got a BHG!:cry:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
jetjock;895882 said:
I'm worried you could be an idiot but until there's proof I'm going to assume you're simply inexperienced. Replace the radiator cap and/or check the overflow plumbing. Forget about BHG for now.

Well, you know where assuming could get you.:sarcasm:

Will check/replace those things.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Maybe after cool down while the hose is collapsed, just take the radiator cap off and see if the hose goes back to normal, That would be a pretty simple test.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
That 7M BHG Reputation is a bitch isn't it! Why does everyone run scared at the first sign of any trouble whatsoever?

However, if all you did to a rod knock motor was swap the bearings, I would not doubt BHG. It obviously wasn't a well taken care of motor at that point.