What intakes are you using?

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I heard people using the 92-95 civic intake. I researched, seems to work good.

I know there is a Weapon-R one available.

Home made.

That's all I can think of, what do you guys use in particular on your jza70's or 1jz swapped mk3's?

Some know, I'm working on putting in a 1jz into my car and I was wondering what intake you use, with pics, so I can see how it lines up with the air dam.

I sold a rhd 91 with an intake that said AEM on it but I don't think it was made for the car, could be, but I'm not sure.

Post what you have, what it's originally intended for or how you made, you get the idea and a pic or two to see how it fits.

Thanks.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
p1390042_1.jpg

AEM filter with my own piping.... :)

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
Theres a Article or something on here which shows the flow
rate/efficiency, AEM Had the best... Apexi was right next to it though...

And i believe HKS had the worst lol....

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
^ those test were done with a HKS 2 Layer Wet element, Im curious to how a 3 Layer Dry element does in a similar test. I know it may or may not be better but still curious.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
old article and i find it vague at best.

oil report?
dyno?

it was my deciding factor when i bought my apexi years a go but i'll probably never do that again.. 40$ aem vs a 120$ apexi? i'll stick with that new aem...

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I'd like to see more pictures, especially with 1jz mk3's.

I remember looking at that article too, I don't see AEM dryflow in there though.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Blitz Sus Power ftw! and also for sale.
Too bad they don't make these with a 4" inlet. I think they are like ~6.5" inlet that connects to a bracket to the afm.

Going K&N 9" length univeral intake with new turbo setup that utilizes a 4" inlet.

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
I'm using the stock intake with a significantly modified engine.

I have background in performing computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis and associated fluid dynamics laboratory testing for CFD validation, so the following thoughts are based on that experience.

When I get some time I would like to take some static pressure tap measurements using a Rosemount differential pressure transducer and determine what the actual loss coefficient is over the stock intake/filter versus the aftermarket units.

With the OEM intake there will be a significant loss coefficient associated with the sudden expansion of the fluid prior to flow through the filter media. The loss coefficient at the entry point of the stock intake (in front of the radiator support) will be reasonably small. Alternatively, with the aftermarket conical air filters the primary loss coefficient will be associated with the change in momentum required for the fluid to change direction by nearly 90 degrees. There is also the question of what the pressure in the engine bay is versus outside of the engine bay (in front of the radiator support) with the engine under cover in place and the car traveling at speed.

So there are many competing factors here, the question is, which is worse? The question is best answered through measurement of static differential pressures as discussed above.

There is also a question of how introduction of a (likely vastly) different inflow condition caused by a conical air filter effects the ability of the flow straightener in the AFM to eliminate large spatial scale vortices prior to the fluid passing through the Karman vortex sensor. How does the different inflow condition effect the calibration of the AFM? This question is more difficult to answer without LDV, PIV or other visual measurement techniques, and may very well have trivial consequences. However, detailed analysis of the signal from the AFM could likely provide some insight.

Last edited: