What for is this tranny pillow?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I'd keep it. I don't totally know why its there, but anything supporting the motor/trans assembly I would not mess with.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
keep it. it spaces the transmission away from the body. in case you bottom out the trans on a speedbump, it keeps it from crashing into the unibody, and possibly giving the driveshaft a wierd angle.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
heh, my old w58 tranny (r.i.p.) never had one of those. i never even knew that something was supposed to be there til i got my new tranny. i'm keeping it there.

-shaeff

Iron Tank

Grease Monkey
Mar 30, 2005
N. California
That componant is for NVH reasons. Its purpose is to alter the resonance frequency of the driveline. Its there to reduce noise and vibrations caused by the driveline. I also never new what its purpose was until the NVH course that Lexus sends us to had pointed it out.

Last edited:

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Iron Tank said:
That componant is for NVH reasons. Its purpose is to alter the resonance frequency of the driveline. Its there to reduce noise and vibrations caused by the driveline. I also never new what its purpose was until the NVH course that Lexus sends us to had pointed it out.

It is good news, then I remove it. :icon_bigg

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
You don't need it if you like vibrations in your driveline and shifter handle. Personally I'd leave it there because at certain RPM's the driveline can vibrate at certain frequencies that can be really annoying. That part is there to minimize that.