what exactly is AR?

mtoxracerfss

Boost Addict
Oct 8, 2005
Toledo
Thanks that helped a lot guys! So basically bigger = more HP but more lag as well?

Also my turbo is .55 as i said, 57 trim, and the guy said it can support 550hp in my car. True? If so is it going to be laggy? Installing it on friday-saturday.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
chosing the a/r ratio of a turbo is one of the most dificult choices when buying a turbo. bigger generally means more flow. so more topend and yes more laggy. that said, .55 sounds alittle on the smaller side for 500hp no?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
IJ's correct. I have seen a/r's of 1.00 and spool quite quickly because the wheel was a larger wheel.

I have also seen a .67 a/r take a supra in the 600 range.

Last, the exhaust housing a/r is more dependant on how much volume the turbo must accomodate. For example, if you have a very large diesel engine with large amounts of exhaust volume, you want a large housing. The exhaust housing controlls most of your spool time & lag.

The compressor housing is again, dependant on the engine its going on and the compressor wheel its mated with. Too large of a wheel in too small of housing will produce surge. Too small of a housing on too large of an engine will starve the engine of air.