What Exactly Causes The 7M I6 BHG's ?

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Ian: My thought was that most BHG pics I have seen seemed to blowout the fire rings of the gasket between the bores. I am sure it's from poor tuning or detonation as mentioned that adds more heat to the already hot spot(from the small surface area) between the bores.

1jz and 2jz and many other cars have a cast block with aluminum head and it does not seem to be as much as an issue with them?

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Well then, it sounds like we (you or someone lol) needs to design/cast/mod the head or design a different way to spread the clamping force through out the head. lol

There must be a way..;)

:dunno:

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
91T breezen' said:
I blew a GE's hg! I modified the air intake, the car ran lean, + bad 87 gas, + 100 degree day, + detonation, Voila! BHG!:biglaugh: Car is a winter only driver now! JK! Down, awaiting motor swap(?)

I blew one after 260K miles.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Yellow 13 said:
This thread should be 7MGTE BHG problems. The GE's headgaskets almost never blow.
The only ones I have dealt with were GE's actually.

can shed some light on exactly why this happens to this particular I6 engine?
It isnt anything with this particular engine. Ever hear of the the Ford Taurus, Dodge Neon, Toyota 4 Runner, etc? All have the same design. As mentioned by somebody esle in this thread, and thousands of other times it gets asked, the engine is an iron block and aluminum head. Two dissimilar metals joined together. Much like a circuit breaker or turn signal flasher. Those two items are designed to open up when heated. The two different types of metal heat and cool at different rates, just like the engine. The sheering forces are too much for the factory asembly when subjected to overheating. A composite gasket will have some give, so it is utilized. Now overboost was never intended for the car either. So 58 lb/ft will hold it in place. Detonation was not intended when the car was forced to inhale significant increases in pressure.

I don’t think I have seen one post regarding the actual cause of this problem.
Surely you jest.

Especially at the rear of the motor where the down pipe routes with the 1st CAT on a stock pipe...this is where the heat is the greatest.
Except the blow on GE engines without the precat, in the rear, when low on coolant. It becomes the hot spot on the block.

Chicken and Egg scenario... which came first
Together actually. The chicken like all animals was created with all of its eggs it would ever have already inside. Pretty much answers that one, doesnt it.:biglaugh:

I blew a GE's hg! I modified the air intake, the car ran lean, + bad 87 gas, + 100 degree day
I have done something very similar, but also leanded out the air flow meter.

And as already mentioned many many times, after the first BHG, improper repair simply lead to another, and another, and another. And as already mentioned many many times, torque, tuning, and cooling, and you will be fine. Or leave it totally stock and just maintain. I know Dr Jonez and IJ must get tired of repeating themselves.

most stock HG failures I've seen at at the #6 or #5 cylinders. On the other hand, I'm not an auto engineer...feel free to raise the BS flag
No need. All I have seen that were not modified first are the same way from the bimetallic design, and the hot spot at the rear when low on coolant.

Toyota revised the headgasket after several failures, but never issued a TSB or Recall.
Toyota revised many parts that never failed. Trying to make something better doesnt mean the first one was all wrong and should be free. I have done plenty of free Toyota headgaskets on the 4Runner campaign. The headgasket itself was no good. So they were done for free.

Toyotaxtreamteam

Feb 26, 2006
Mass
main reason i run 93 on my ge is because on warms days with lower then 91 it runs a little on the bad side so this is a great preventive i do