What Engine/Transmissions fit in MK3's?

2turboZ

May 4, 2007
Buffalo NY
I was thinking about LS1 and 6spd swapping my 89MK3 but it doesnt seem like anyone other than one guy has done it and he had to do alot of custom work.

What other motor/tranny swaps have we seen in MK3s?

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Dunno if those would fit, Mod Motors are big fuckers, the 03-04 Cobra blocks are strong as hell though.

Been wondering myself if a Buick turbo 3.8 motor would fit, I know it wouldn't clear the hood, but just wondering if it would fit between the shock towers.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
2turboZ said:
I would ideally love to do a Supercharged Cobra motor.....but I cant find a darn thing to see if it would work
ur my new best friend!! lol. love my turbo supra but would trade it in in a second for a terminator.

anyway, a small block chevy and a turbo 350 tranny will fit with very minimal pounding on trans tunnel. its been done quite a few times locally.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
ooohhh yeah. if anyone is willing to try it, i have a 5.4l shortblock with 8-bolt crank for sale- cheap. also have a set of PI sohc heads and early cobra heads- both complete, both cheap. lol

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
5sp's r more fun to drive (i own one) but a god turbo 350 with the right stall will always be quicker.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
foreverpsycotic said:
lexus v8 motor and an r145. with a few snails and/or spray
where have i saw that setup before??? was it suprastore?? man it was crammed in there- looked like a lot of work. it was also the only one ive seen- very badass!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
from what I've heard it's nearly a bolt in affair...

as long as you have the later style motor mounts, the motor bolts in, and the R154 will bolt to it (think you need the right bellhousing, it might be the 1J one), and I'm unsure of the tranny mount, but it sounds simple...

I was thinking of doing it in an N/A and making a DD...

2turboZ

May 4, 2007
Buffalo NY
Are they are companies out there that help aid the wiring, mounting, or set up of other motors.

Kind of like how there are a ton of kits out there for rx7s

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
2turboZ said:
Are they are companies out there that help aid the wiring, mounting, or set up of other motors.

Kind of like how there are a ton of kits out there for rx7s
just go carburated v8 man. very easy once u get the engine/trany bolted in.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
2turboZ said:
Ok....how about a NON toyota motor :)

You could install a GE jet engine with enough time, money and commitment. But I think you would have alot more valuable car if you were to do a 1uze swap and kept it all Toyota.

I think wedging a Chevy V8 into a Supra turns the car into a totally different animal (which is ok if that's what you want). Whereas if you went 1uze it would be closer match as far as the way the car was meant to drive.

Just my 2 cents.