What egt is everyone running?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
what i noticed i was able to do at 10 pounds of boost was, let the turbo spool at part throttle, let the EGTs climb to the max they usually get ~1380 IIRC, then hit WOT, i could see the EGTs get up to 1450.

however if i hit WOT from the get go they wouldnt go above 1400.

what does this mean? hah i dunno. if i saw my EGT numbers go above 1450 i would probably take my foot of the gas right away.

supra_ozzie

86.5 HC NA/T
Apr 4, 2005
Burnaby
jt2ma71 said:
I use both egt and a/f ratios. You can have high egt's whether you are rich or lean. It is important that you know which side of the a/f range you are so you know how to correct it. Mine peaks at ~730C at high rpm, light load, cruising. That's when egt's are high. Under boost, mine stays pretty much closer to 700C or cools down a bit with 12.5:1 a/f. Keep in mind, egt's get higher with too much timing retard, not enough fuel, and too much fuel. So, if you are satisfied with your a/fs and you still think that your EGT is too high for your comfort, try looking at your ignition timing, a couple degrees of change brought mine down by ~30C. In my case, there are other variables that can compensate for many things, one example is adding fuel when egt's reach ~750C and at the same time limitting the boost pressure. HTH. Ron

Excellent Info! Thanks!

Last edited:

supra_ozzie

86.5 HC NA/T
Apr 4, 2005
Burnaby
Arther3 said:
dyno with a wideband so you will have some reference point FOR YOUR CAR to which you can correlate your egt's.

edit: i'm not saying it wouldn't hurt to ask, but at some point a wideband dyno is necessary IMO.

I definetly plan to do just that, thanks for the input!

supra_ozzie

86.5 HC NA/T
Apr 4, 2005
Burnaby
lagged said:
what i noticed i was able to do at 10 pounds of boost was, let the turbo spool at part throttle, let the EGTs climb to the max they usually get ~1380 IIRC, then hit WOT, i could see the EGTs get up to 1450.

however if i hit WOT from the get go they wouldnt go above 1400.

what does this mean? hah i dunno. if i saw my EGT numbers go above 1450 i would probably take my foot of the gas right away.

Interesting... I check it out next time I do the hill. I'm getting a better idea of how far I can go with it now, 1450 at the turbo elbow seems to be the norm. Thx!

Last edited:

supra_ozzie

86.5 HC NA/T
Apr 4, 2005
Burnaby
I took the car up the Coquihalla last weekend. Did a pull on a long steep hill, took it easy feathering the throttle all the way.

Took it to 165 km/h (103 mph) about 3/4 's of the way up, Egt went to 700 degrees celsius (1292 F) and 5 lbs of boost.

I had a passenger, spare tire, and tons of luggage in the back seat and hatch.

Last edited:

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
I happened to do a few full throttle runs a couple of weeks ago and logged RPM, EGT, boost and throttle.
here is the chart, this extract is about 88 seconds long. peak EGT was 760°C, A/Fs were between 9.8:1 and 10.4:1. can we say rich?
I buried the throttle for a full 30 seconds (gotta love german autobahn :evil2: ), let off for 5 seconds because of some guy creeping in front of me at ~100mph and resumed for another 30 seconds.

this was done on a stock '92 AT turbo with gutted precat, free-flow turbo elbow and about 12psi of boost...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Econ: Thanks for posting that, nice safe AF and EGT's look great!

Q: How exactly does the Autobahn system work?
Is it no speed limits at all?
(never had it explained by someone that actually lives there and knows)

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
hmmmm. i'm not reading the whole thread, but here's some fact:

-post-turbo EGTs are pointless. there's no way to quantifiy how much heat the turbine removes from the ex. stream (it's not a fixed constant).
-EGT is a crude way to monitor A/F- remember that EGT gets higher as you go lean, but there comes a point when you get too lean that EGT goes DOWN.
-get a WB, they're cheap now.
-i've regularly seen EGTs for 1600F @ WOT and 1500 or so @ cruise....

catch2nd

80's toyota lover
Mar 30, 2005
Oldest fair in CT
if you put it in a runner you run the risk of the egt sensor desintegrating and getting sucked through the turbo.... i know... pretty small risk.

But even when in the elbow its going to tell you if something has gone wrong... if you normally peak at 1200 and the thing is reading 1400 you have a problem

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
IJ. said:
Q: How exactly does the Autobahn system work?
Is it no speed limits at all?
(never had it explained by someone that actually lives there and knows)
there are speed limits, but they have to be displayed. i.e. unless there is a road sign saying "120kph max" e.g., there is no speed limit.
but due to the ever increasing number of cars in Germany, you actually have to be quite lucky to find a road section empty enough for save full throttle runs without putting yours or somebody elses life at risk. most of the time there are "only" 2 or 3 lanes, and there's always some moron who changes lanes without looking into the mirror which can be extremely dangerous if you are rushing on the far left lane with 140+mph. also, overtaking someone on the right is forbidden for obvious reasons. so if there is somebody going slower than you on the far left lane, you have to wait until they change back to the right before you can pass by.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Econ: Thanks for that!

We have roads here in the far North that have no limits but I'd hesitate to do top end runs on them for a few reasons!

1: Crap road surfaces and narrow

2: No fences so chances of wandering livestock are high

3: Heat in Winter it's avg 28c and in Summer can be as high as mid 40's

4: I'd have to drive 20+ hours to get there to play ;)