What egt is everyone running?

supra_ozzie

86.5 HC NA/T
Apr 4, 2005
Burnaby
Need to do a comparison. Probe is located in the turbo elbow, I'm running between 932.00 and 1112.00 degrees F on the street and between 1022.00 and 1292.00 F on the highway @ approx 3000 rpm. I'm an na/t using n/a ngk platinum plugs and thinking about switching to a cooler plug. I'll take a closer look today and get a more accurate reading.

Last edited:

silver88turbo

Former Owner
Mar 30, 2005
Illinois
Havent driven the supe in a long time but IIRC, at cruise I was always between 900 and 1200/1250 F. Ive seen as high as 1525 during a WOT 4th gear pull.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
i ususaly am around 1375-1400 cruising at 3k and at WOT i usually hit about 1500-1525 and it stays there...

as long as you arent going past 1600..youll be fine..as thats where things start to melt... ;)

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
back when my car was on the road, at wide open throttle in 4th gear it would be at about 875 degrees celcius. i had a hks gauge and the probe was mounted in the turbo elbow.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
~800F at idle, up to 1400 at WOT. my probe is mounted where runners 1 2 and 3 collect on their way to the turbo.

with a clogged fuel filter i saw it lean out to 1450.

supra_ozzie

86.5 HC NA/T
Apr 4, 2005
Burnaby
Idealsupra said:
ah that explains why your EGTs are so low... thats a crappy place for it and makes it kinda pointless to even have one...

mines in the #6 runner of the exhaust manifold....

Well it's better than nothing...

That's why I was wondering where everyone elses is located so to use as a reference. I thought about putting it in #6 runner of the exhaust manifold as it is (from what I've read) usually the hottest running cylinder but then you're only getting a reading from one cylinder. I've seen some put it in the actual turbo but didn't want to go there so I decided this would be the most convenient place to put it as long as I get a few good reference points from others that have it in the same location.

Thx for the info!

Last edited:

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
supra_ozzie said:
Well it's better than nothing...

That's why I was wondering where everyone elses is located so to use as a reference. I thought about putting it in #6 runner of the exhaust manifold as it is (from what I've read) usually the hottest running cylinder but then you're only getting a reading from one cylinder. I've seen some put it in the actual turbo but didn't want to go there so I decided this would be the most convenient place to put it as long as I get a reference point from others that have it in the same location.

in all reality it doesnt matter if you arte only gettnig a reading from one runner....its really just a tool to stop if you are running lean and getting hot... if yuo want an ALL reference point you should put it in the major collector right before the turbo...anything after the turbo is pointless as the gasses will have cooled a good bit..so having an egt there would be pointless in being able to save yourself from running lean ...

IMO an EGT probe where you have it IS like having nothing...

supra_ozzie

86.5 HC NA/T
Apr 4, 2005
Burnaby
Idealsupra said:
in all reality it doesnt matter if you arte only gettnig a reading from one runner....its really just a tool to stop if you are running lean and getting hot... if yuo want an ALL reference point you should put it in the major collector right before the turbo...anything after the turbo is pointless as the gasses will have cooled a good bit..so having an egt there would be pointless in being able to save yourself from running lean ...

IMO an EGT probe where you have it IS like having nothing...

I absolutely agree, like use said it's just a tool to stop you if you are running to lean and getting hot. I'm using it as a reference even if the exhaust gases do cool a good bit before hitting the probe.

Last edited:

supra_ozzie

86.5 HC NA/T
Apr 4, 2005
Burnaby
oldschool85 said:
EGT's are a waste anywho....by the time you know something is wrong its already too late. stick with WB's

charlie

If I could afford it, I would... but I have an egt gauge and am looking for some input from others that have the egt probe in the turbo elbow not wide band info, thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
oldschool85 said:
EGT's are a waste anywho....by the time you know something is wrong its already too late. stick with WB's

charlie

so untrue...an EGT can easily stop you from ruining your car if you keep an eye on it while racing...i can think of a few times when it stopped me from seriously hurting my engine because i noticed it was heating up too fast or too much so i let off before it got to the temps of damaging things...

a WB is obviously the best tool..however an EGT would be the second best option and is far from useless...

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Yup - Regardless of install location, you can get a baseline understanding of what it should be assuming you put it on when you're basically stock. As you mod you can note differences in trend. If you see that you're spiking over whatever YOUR baseline is, back off.........at least that's my take on the EGT.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Squid699 said:
Yup - Regardless of install location, you can get a baseline understanding of what it should be assuming you put it on when you're basically stock. As you mod you can note differences in trend. If you see that you're spiking over whatever YOUR baseline is, back off.........at least that's my take on the EGT.

yep to me its like a safety net...i was racing a c5 the other night...when we went from a 3rd gear pull i pulled about half a car and was looking like i was just gonna walk away....i then proceeded to look at my EGT gauge and saw it climbing VERY rapidly and it wasnt stopping..it got to 1550 and was gonna keep going so i immediately let off and the c5 pulled by me and basically figured he won...which i guess technically he did but whatever...

and ive basically come to the assumption after some tests my injectors are FUCKED lol.... they are probably flowing about 290-300cc a piece and are basically DONE. so now i need some 550s ;)

but thats just an instance where an EGT gauge probably saved my engine....

supra_ozzie

86.5 HC NA/T
Apr 4, 2005
Burnaby
Safety net indeed...

I'm pretty much stock with the exception that I'm running a turbo'd 7mge with 60mm thousandths taken off head and block combined. I thought there may be a possiblilty that it might run hotter than a stock 7mgte being high compression and all. I haven't calculated the ratio, but I'm guessing it's around 10:1. Cylinder pressure is 180 psi.

I'm currently using ngk platinum n/a plugs and it seems to be running nice and smooth, but as far as I know these are hotter plugs. Would I benifit switching to a cooler plug? Not sure... any thoughts on this?

I do a lot of highway driving, long long hills, we're talking 2-3 miles long and very steep grades. So I think I'd be a fool not at least have an egt guage.

Soon I'll be adding a manual boost controller and an AFC then have it tuned with a wideband. We'll see what happens, this isn't a race car, to me it's a summer daily driver.

I spent four months freezing my ass off turboing this thing so I'd like to keep it as reliable as possible. Please don't ask why i didn't just throw in a turbo engine, I wanted to see if it could be done.

Last edited:

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
I use both egt and a/f ratios. You can have high egt's whether you are rich or lean. It is important that you know which side of the a/f range you are so you know how to correct it. Mine peaks at ~730C at high rpm, light load, cruising. That's when egt's are high. Under boost, mine stays pretty much closer to 700C or cools down a bit with 12.5:1 a/f. Keep in mind, egt's get higher with too much timing retard, not enough fuel, and too much fuel. So, if you are satisfied with your a/fs and you still think that your EGT is too high for your comfort, try looking at your ignition timing, a couple degrees of change brought mine down by ~30C. In my case, there are other variables that can compensate for many things, one example is adding fuel when egt's reach ~750C and at the same time limitting the boost pressure. HTH. Ron

Arther3

Remember SOGI? I do
Apr 1, 2005
Starkville, MS
www.cardomain.com
dyno with a wideband so you will have some reference point FOR YOUR CAR to which you can correlate your egt's.

edit: i'm not saying it wouldn't hurt to ask, but at some point a wideband dyno is necessary IMO.