what does a Standalone replace hardware wise?

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
So I was wondering what all a standalone (stinger) would get rid of under the hood? Like all those small little pieces that are bolted to our Fender? Does it Make any of those unnecessary? Im debating on if I were to loose some of those little things, If I would want to Just do a custom harness for the standalone. Or is this a pipe dream for an easy way to get a clean engine bay?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
those pieces under the fender are not part of the engine harness.

A standalone replaces any and everything (or nothing if you want to use stock sensors) that are connected to the ENGINE harness. Nothing else outside of the engine harness gets replaced.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Thats what I was thinking, It will have to look over the original engine harness to see what all its involved with to determine If it would be worth the hassel of doing a custom harness. Do you have any hindsight on the difficulty of doing one with the engine on a stand?

romaniello

Oct 28, 2005
Sanford, FL
Obviously, too difficult for you to handle on your own.
Sorry, not trying to be rude but if you have no idea what a standalone computer does I don't think you can handle rewiring your car without external help.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Im contemplating the idea of doing a new harness for the standalone, Or just to have the vendor do a Plug and Play for the origional harness. Being that the ECU is 20 years old I was thinking maybe the Standalone deleted some things and would make a new harness that much easier.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
tekdeus;1199732 said:
So speed density is not as accurate? Or does it just have more variation depending on temp and altitude? Just curious.

Of course it is not as accurate. It is a pretty good guess but a guess none the less. Hence the need for the AIT sensors.
AFM is measuring the air but for a given space but still needs AIT to make adjustment for temp density changes.

For instance the frequency of the air for the OEM MKIII AFM Housing is what the OEM ecu is programmed at. It technically is not measuring how much air as it still needs the AIT signal which happens to be within 2 inches of the Karman Vortex Generator to get a density of the air. Problem is change the sizing of the housing and the frequency changes as air follows Bernoulli principal.

Mass Air Flow on the other hand accounts for the density and flow for a given area in one fell swoop.

That is why manufactures still use AFM/MAF sensors in their cars as they can now run EGR at higher levels which means higher intake plenum pressure/Lower pumping losses which under Speed Density, would be seen has a higher load when in reality it is not.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Mass air also accounts for humidity. Mass air over all. Unless you want to tinker with your progamming as the need arises. Some people clearly like to do that.