What Do You Think Of This?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
74 VW Bug.....It makes more than the 40HP or 50HP it normally comes with. ;)

Had to slow down because of the curve coming up and its still on stock 74 drums brakes. Upgrades coming....

[video=youtube;yYVMG-64CYY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYVMG-64CYY[/video]

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Poodles;1857059 said:
As cool as I think it is...old bugs are deathtraps.

Tell me something I don't know. That thing has unsafe written all over it and it hasn't even been pushed to its limits yet. We only go out on slow days and off hours when we know traffic isn't going to be a issue. Nevertheless, that doesn't make it safer and I know what you are talking about. The car is down for its next set of upgrades. It will be caged before it hits the road again, no ifs ands or buts about it.

BoostMonger;1857063 said:
three parts? ummm, rotary? lol

;)

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
There was a rotary turbo bug down at VA beach last year, it was said that it lifts the front wheels off the ground.

That = bad ass

I like the old bugs too, I'd own one if I found a good deal.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, this car had never seen full throttle because the clutch couldn't hold it. If you went past 5 PSI, it WILL slip. Can't wait to see what it does when it hits the road after its upgrades.

Was that rotary in the rear like the stock motor or in the front?

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
It was in the rear, it was carbureted too. Had a huge carb, can't remember if it was pre or post turbo though. The intercooler was above the engine with a "scoop" to pull air down into it. It sounded like no other engine I have ever heard. Blip blip blip blip -turbo spool... haha.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Back when I was in highschool (1988-92) Bugs could be had for around $300-500... running. I friend of mine had one. He paid $700 for it and that thing was pristine!

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
I've always wanted a bug. They run in the family. My dad had 5. Pretty modified engines. One had a Baja body. And grandpa used to race them. At the strip, in the desert, hill climb, and sand drags. Had acouple that would wheelie.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IBoughtASupra;1856956 said:
Three moving parts.... ;)

If Billy comes to NY on his trip to NJ, I'll let him take a look.

BoostMonger;1857063 said:
three parts? ummm, rotary? lol
We have a winner... That was my initial thought too. Good combination if you ask me. German car, German designed (if not built) engine, 100% badass.

I would do an old bug to hot rod, if only because it's hard to do one and make it look bad...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
It only made sense. It's just on 5 PSI and we haven't heard the wastegate open on the street yet. It's insane waiting to see what it doesn't after these upgrades.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
My bro has told me stories of being in his friend's bug. Had a porsche engine conversion and he was in the backseat going over 100MPH with crosswinds making the car change lanes. His comment, "I thought I was gonna die."