What do you think of this 1JZ?

Matt300ZXT

Jan 1, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
1JZ rear sump, auto trans, ECU (I think from Supra) for $1000. There are videos of it in his SC300 racing various cars, though bad videos because they're shot at night but the car is moving at least. He said before he pulled it, he compression tested it and it was 180 across the board.

The engine has been out since March and setting on a stand under an aluminum car port, pretty much covered, though not in a tarp, just a thick pair of hunting overalls or something like that which covered it fairly thoroughly. Anyways, the plugs have been out but the valley was covered with some rags, however there are a few little bits of crumbled up dead dry leaves in the valley, and I'm sure a piece or two of leaf has fallen into the cylinders, surely nothing that turning the engine upside down on the stand and hitting with a vacuum or compressed air wouldn't blow right back out.

The engine has a Driftmotion turbo manifold on it that has had the openings covered up with tape that's still holding very well, as well as the throttle body opening, and any other openings on the engine.

The engine spins over when I grabbed the underdrive crank pulley (would have been way easier with a socket and ratchet), I didn't hear any clunks or scrapes from something inside being broken, and I can feel like it's going through compression strokes. It doesn't spin over with absolutely zero resistance. I pulled the valve covers and the cams look great, no burn marks or gouges, anything like that and the little bit of oil that is left in the tops of the heads looks clean, no sludge or grime. The belt looks to be in good shape, which obviously would be getting replaced though.

The engine does need a good cleaning though, the sides have typical used engine gunk on the block from things like leaky valve cover gaskets, leaky oil pan gasket, etc.