What do you guys think of this intercooler design? ,':-|

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
no problem... makes me wonder about the stocker. I've seen them used over 400whp say 430 maybe. seem like that is probably out of the efficiency range.... *running #'s

eh, it's actually not that bad. but everyone knows a lot of them are wore out, some leaking, bent fins, ect.... plus bar+plate is better than tube+fin

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
As for the original question, I don't think the turbulence added by that end tank design is going to add significantly to the turbulence added by the bar and plate design, or the fact that air has to reverse direction inside the opposite end tank.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
yeah it just seems that air reversing direction in the first cooler would cause tumbling, where the 2nd one has much more surface area, and is designed more like an intake manifold.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Air turns corners fairly easily, it's not a Wet System so not a huge issue, in pipe though 1 x 90 degree bend is roughly equal restriction wise to 10" of straight pipe so will be adding some restriction.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Only advantage I see is the air turns at slightly less angle in the 2nd design. the first has half the rows, but more surface area. overall I think the 1st would cool better, but create a little more lag.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
your pretty much going to have that bend anyway because of the frame rail unless you go ffim

p1990651_1.jpg

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Australia,Victoria,Melbourne
Well I'm not a big fan of pressure drop.... (depending if it's bar&plate or tube&fin core) as the 1st design essentially looks like a double pass design... that's a bit of restriction to overcome. In-turn you do get better cooling from a horizontal flow vs vertical flow (2nd cooler) although bottom line is... horizontal flow wouldn't cool any better than the other if ambient temp is horrible throughout the day. Where as having the 2nd cooler wouldn't give you much pressure drop compared to the 1st one as well as taking into account of core design.

If I had the money though :D I'd do IJ's W2A setup he had.

pete05

Nov 24, 2012
australia
I have always thought the original version of the DM kit was better than the new one, the flow path through the cooler seems better to me. Pitty I cant read IJ's thread to see what he had.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
what I was thinking. ^^ the air is going to have to reverse paths either way I just don't see a FFIM being that much of an improvement to spend the extra $$ especially when I only want 400+ whp