what do you guys think about upgrading cooling system?

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Ok so for awhile I have been searching to find what would be the most effective ways and cost effective to reduce operating temps and ambient air temps. Also keep in mind to incorporate part integrity as well.

And a couple questions. Is anyone running dual cooling fans with a stock radiator? Also anyone ever use that royal purple coolant additive? Does it actually improve anything?

I also want to hear discussions about effectiveness with each different parts and please include brand names.

87 Turbo

Feb 9, 2008
St.Paul MN
I'm thinking about buying the JWT 3 row radiator from EBay and adding twin fan on. Along with a oversize oil cooler and it should help the motor alot. We ran elet. fan with the stock radaitor. No problem at all and it does seem to help when you drive for a long time. You just got to remember to turn on the fans.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
oem radiator with dual spal fans. i only had one hooked up and NEVER had a cooling problem.

just get a controller that turns the fans on at 190 or something. or just hardwire them like i do so i have total control over them.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
The OEM clutch fan is typically more effective than any dual fan setup i know of. Use heat wrap if you want to lower under hood temps and be sure to use the undercarriage shield and fan shroud

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
New GTE Fan clutch and 10 blade fan
Single GE helper electric fan
EWP110 Davies Craig electric water pump
New Toyota Pump
PWR Rad

All ran by the MoTeC so it's setNforget.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Um, no, that's what the T-stat is for!

Upgrade the tired old radiator (you don't expect a stock radiator to handle the extra heat from more fuel/boost, do you?)

Replace the water pump (they rarely go out, but why chance it?)

Replace the fan clutch (the MAIN issue my car overheated)

Replace the broken fan shroud (no shroud, and the air isn't sucked throught he radiator, but from around it...not good)

Replace T-stat (OEM was best for me, the stant I had was sticking)

Replace radiator cap (pressures are just as important)

Replace the radiator hoses (I've seen the bottom one suck closed when they get tired, doesn't help flow much)

Also, make sure the fan is in good shape, remove the leaves from between the condenser and radiator (you'd be surprised how much crap gets in behind there), and use OEM Toyota red coolant with distilled water.

I've driven my car HARD and it never overheats...

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
I wouldn't use those coolant additives unless I ran straight distilled water. And I would only run straight distilled water....well, I would never run straight distilled water. Mainly because there is no corrosion protection in distilled water.

The redline water wetter tends to cause gelling when mixed with antifreeze. I don't know about the royal purple coolant additive, I've never used it.

And....fan clutch for life.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
turbojuiced;1043994 said:
Ok so for awhile I have been searching to find what would be the most effective ways and cost effective to reduce operating temps and ambient air temps. Also keep in mind to incorporate part integrity as well.

And a couple questions. Is anyone running dual cooling fans with a stock radiator? Also anyone ever use that royal purple coolant additive? Does it actually improve anything?

I also want to hear discussions about effectiveness with each different parts and please include brand names.

When I originally did my 2jz swap I was told that the stock radiator will not keep up after parting with some hard earned coin I had a huge racing radiator and 2 electric fans. Well the first summer the car would start to run hot if I used the ac. I took it back in and we switched to hydo fan setup. Katrina hit so I never got to see the results of the hydro fan.

Now I have a stock radiatior, and stock fan and car runs cool all the time. I think one of the problems is with the age of our radiators and it getting clogged up.

I'd be interested in hearing of anyone having cooling issues with a proper working radiator.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
Upgrade the Radiator. Koyo = ftw. I run the Royal Purple water wetter and it works fantasticly! No problems and the coolant looks the same coming out as when I put it in.

Replace the upper and lower hoses as was mentioned before, t-stat is also a must but most people left off one of the biggest little things - THE RADIATOR CAP! Its a $5 part that as many can attest to has been the cause of alot of problems.

oh yea and clutch fan for life. Car might sound like a deisal but damn does it work!

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
87 Turbo;1044023 said:
I'm thinking about buying the JWT 3 row radiator from EBay and adding twin fan on. Along with a oversize oil cooler and it should help the motor alot. We ran elet. fan with the stock radaitor. No problem at all and it does seem to help when you drive for a long time. You just got to remember to turn on the fans.

Interesting stuff let us all know how it turns out. Any word on what brand of twin fan you are going to go with? And I am assuming your fan was hard wired as well to control turning it on or did you have a temp switch?

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Rennat;1044026 said:
oem radiator with dual spal fans. i only had one hooked up and NEVER had a cooling problem.

just get a controller that turns the fans on at 190 or something. or just hardwire them like i do so i have total control over them.

O ok so you just replaced the stock clutch fan and replaced it with those? And you said you only wired up one fan? Interesting stuff just curiius as to how you wired it? Might be an option for me one of these days.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
IwantMKIII;1044044 said:
The OEM clutch fan is typically more effective than any dual fan setup i know of. Use heat wrap if you want to lower under hood temps and be sure to use the undercarriage shield and fan shroud

Really? Very interesting info. Sounds like the same deal with the evo as well. Im seeing many similarities to these vehicles kinda odd I know. For some apparent reason the stock fan is better than the aftermarket dual fan setups from what I have heard in the past. Some do run very well but most cases its more effective to keep the stocker.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
IJ.;1044069 said:
New GTE Fan clutch and 10 blade fan
Single GE helper electric fan
EWP110 Davies Craig electric water pump
New Toyota Pump
PWR Rad

All ran by the MoTeC so it's setNforget.

I really like your entire setup IJ. Deftiniely look up to you and your build very much. How do you like your PWR rad? Why did you chose that one from other brands? And is that helper fan by GE the one that sits upper right next to the clutch fan?

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Poodles;1044081 said:
Um, no, that's what the T-stat is for!

Upgrade the tired old radiator (you don't expect a stock radiator to handle the extra heat from more fuel/boost, do you?)

Replace the water pump (they rarely go out, but why chance it?)

Replace the fan clutch (the MAIN issue my car overheated)

Replace the broken fan shroud (no shroud, and the air isn't sucked throught he radiator, but from around it...not good)

Replace T-stat (OEM was best for me, the stant I had was sticking)

Replace radiator cap (pressures are just as important)

Replace the radiator hoses (I've seen the bottom one suck closed when they get tired, doesn't help flow much)

Also, make sure the fan is in good shape, remove the leaves from between the condenser and radiator (you'd be surprised how much crap gets in behind there), and use OEM Toyota red coolant with distilled water.

I've driven my car HARD and it never overheats...

Yes I am planning on replacing the water pump, T-stat, hoses, rad cap, and possibly fan clutch for sure. Since this was a previous owner car I dont know if he ever put non distilled water in there for a cooling solution also I figure what the hell miles well do the t-stat as well. And I was thinking of going with samco silicone hoses for more integrity.

Fan looks and seems to be running in good shape. So not too sure if I will change that just yet but probably wouldnt be a bad idea since it probably hasnt ever been changed.

So you propose I switch to the oem coolant? Right now I am using peak which seems to be running great with it. But when I do the cooling stuff I will definitely look into that.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
jugodegolf;1044161 said:
When I originally did my 2jz swap I was told that the stock radiator will not keep up after parting with some hard earned coin I had a huge racing radiator and 2 electric fans. Well the first summer the car would start to run hot if I used the ac. I took it back in and we switched to hydo fan setup. Katrina hit so I never got to see the results of the hydro fan.

Now I have a stock radiatior, and stock fan and car runs cool all the time. I think one of the problems is with the age of our radiators and it getting clogged up.

I'd be interested in hearing of anyone having cooling issues with a proper working radiator.

My sentiment exactly. This is why I started this thread because of all the searching I really havent seen many issues where the car has overheated even with some aftermarket mods and increased boost with the stock cooling system. Now of course if there is a mechanical issue then thats a different story.

Thanks for the info!

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
to reduce ambient air temperatures under the hood (intake temps), try ceramic coating manifolds, heat shields and ic piping. also try wrapping your downpipe.
-pete

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I had a stocker and blew it up literally with a lot of hard boosting, but it was only 10psi. I replaced it with a new stock radiator and my car started to over heat and just get hot on long drives or a lot of traffic. I since then got a Koyo and it's been great, actually car seems to run too cool at times. I have a new stock fan clutch and fan to go with it.