What do I need to get before I swap?

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Ok, I have an 88 turbo with a blown engine. I also have a rebuilt engine that I got from another member that I'm planning on putting in to get her back on the road. But I've never done a swap before, so I'm trying to make sure I don't get caught unprepared. It's a direct 7mgte-for-7mgte replacement, so I shouldn't need anything special, but are there any gaskets or seals or anything that I need to make sure I have on hand before I start?

Thanks!

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Koenigturbo;1546736 said:
I would suggest maybe a exhaust gasket, oil, anti freeze, and beer.

Exhaust gasket: good call. I hadn't thought about that one. I've got the beer and other fluids already.

IJ.;1546902 said:
Take Terri to the Airport ;)

That doesn't help at all! She's volunteered to be the beer bitch!

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Do you still have my address, or should I send it again?
But seriously, what do I need?

(I'd love to stay and banter, but it's time to go get drunk. I'll catch you later buddy.)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Neodeuccio;1546729 said:
Ok, I have an 88 turbo with a blown engine. I also have a rebuilt engine that I got from another member that I'm planning on putting in to get her back on the road. But I've never done a swap before, so I'm trying to make sure I don't get caught unprepared. It's a direct 7mgte-for-7mgte replacement, so I shouldn't need anything special, but are there any gaskets or seals or anything that I need to make sure I have on hand before I start?

Thanks!

Aside from an engine hoist/load leveler (makes it a snap), All fluids, the exhaust manifold gasket. The turbo gaskets can generally be reused a few times. I reused them a bunch of times with zero leaks, EVER. Replace the cam cover gaskets with the motor out, it's just super easy that way (no leaning over the car). Replace the cove washers that the bolts go through as well. Make sure you don't have any loose exhaust manifold studs, if so, helicoil before you drop the new motor in.

Pull the engine/tranny at the same time, makes things much simpler. I doubt I'd ever pull just the motor when doing this. Besides, the tranny's just a few bolts and you're good to go. (driveshaft/ crossmember, pull the slave, ground strap, all easy stuff vs. fighting with the upper bellhousing bolts)

The rest is really just basic hand tools. Work slowly for your first time. Don't forget to disconnect things like the power steering lines, ground straps, battery cable to the starter, main engine harness, etc...

When pulling the motor, go slowly. Don't just rip it out- you'll likely forget to disconnect something. (My first time I damn near missed the throttle cable, and it's right on top!)

Also, make sure you drain the tranny, otherwise you'll have an oil slick on your floor. LOL.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Depends when you're doing it- I'm trying to get my M3 back in one piece- I've got the rear suspension/subframe out. Shaeff's lead foot killed it. LOL. (I tore one of the differential mounts damn near right off the subframe. Oops!)

MKIII Supra > E36 M3

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I'm hoping to do it sometime in the next month or so. I'd love to have the help, but I know it's an inconvenience. I am pretty flexible though, in case there's a time that would work better for you... hint... hint...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
How flexible? :naughty:

I might take the first week of May off. If I do, I'll let you know, and maybe swing by for a day or so.

Silv89t

Mar 8, 2010
Fresno
my suggestion is make sure you get all the coolant gasket and gasket for the turbo too, whatever hose that are brittle, and just work carefully. I swap a motor once for mines and i had to make my own gasket for the thermostat cause i was in a hurry, strip one bolt on my thermostat housing and didn't put gasket behind thermostat. that supra was my only daily driving car and had school everyday too...that was hard...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
sugar-daddy-demotivational-poster-1257439166.jpg
;)