What did you want to be when you were a kid?

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
I wanted to be a truck driver! No shit. Never thought it would actually happen. Life is funny that way.

Also wanted to be a pilot, made a false start on that one a couple of years ago. The only aircraft(that I didn't have to build) in my budget is waayy to small for someone "my size"

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
After playing with a chemistry set at a friends house, I wanted to be a chemist. I also really enjoyed taking things apart around the house [my parents HATED that].
As a teenager I was pretty sure I either wanted to be a psychologist, a cop, or work with computers and electronics. To this day, I have been happiest working with avionics, computers, electrical, and electronic components.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Originally wanted to be an engineer (not the train kind), then spec ops, now a psychologist is what I'm aiming for.

ms07s;1408497 said:
Gundam Pilot, Boba Fett, Spiderman, WW2 F4U Corsair pilot, Batman, Ninja, Predator alien, G.I. Joe, and too many others to recall.

I still want to build a Gundam.
Another one, gundams are ftw; tied into me wanting to be an engineer.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I don't really remember, that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away.

When computers started becoming available for less than the price of a house, I could tell I wanted to work with them. Got tossed out of the house as a teenager, and had to work for a living, so I couldn't afford anything to do with computers for quite a few years - they were still many thousand dollars for a basic system at the time.

Eventually I managed to save enough coin to pick up a used computer system. Shortly after that I started doing computer work on the side, and a year or so after that I quit my real job and went into computers full time.

Since then, there's been the occasional lean time, but for the most part, I've gotten paid to do what I love.

With the added benefit of hindsight, I can look back and realize that I would probably have been just as happy as a teacher... but that's ok. Maybe if computers start programming themselves, I'll fall back on that.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I wanted to be a Lego set designer for a long time... but as I grew older and my understanding of engineering developed, I realized that Lego made pretty models that explode when you drop them. Everything I built had to pass the "throw it down the stairs" test for structural integrity. If the major components couldn't withstand that test (suspension still function, axles and steering still work, major chassis remain connected together, engine stay in chassis, ect), then I'd redesign them until they could. It's amazing what some cross bracing can do. I also didn't get why Lego didn't mount a Vulcan cannon on something, that would have been pretty rad. Sufficed to say, I lost interest in working for Lego... they couldn't afford my models.

Then it was a race car driver.

Still is a race car driver.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
I wanted to go to the Air Force Academy and be a fighter pilot, become a minister, or be a teacher.

I attended the Academy, didn't become a pilot, am currently a minister, and am working on my math teaching credential. 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
A thief and a spy.

I interrogated a Teddy Ruxbin when I was 7. He told me everything. I took care of that bastard.

Everybody talks. EVERYBODY.