What did YOU use for your side axles?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hey guys-

I've been trying to remove the two side axles from an LSD(out of the car), and my 3lb puller just aint cutting it. I was wondering what people are using for theirs. Did you just go with a beefier 5 or 10lb puller, or using prybars?(this didn't work for me either.), or did anyone break down and get the SST?

Just wondering which methods have worked for people.

: )

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I have a BIG arse slide hammer I made for live axles many years ago, I use that if the pumpkin is out of the car, if it's in I use a pair of tire irons to pop the clips then they pull out by hand.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I used a 5 lb sledge and a long pry bar. Managed to get it to come out after getting creative. That job sucked. If I was ever going to do it again I would price out the SST.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Suprahero claims he has done this job enough now that he can do it in 20 minutes. I'd like to know his method for this.

Also, does anyone have a video of how a slide hammer would be used for this. Youtube is covered in slide hammers being used to pull dents. I went to youtube to see what one is, but couldn't find a video showing how to pull an axle. Is there a different type for our purpose?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
w89725.jpg

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
You bolt it to the hub and then just...slide the weighted portion back - well, not slide...more like try to rip it off. haha

ForcedTorque;1441172 said:
Suprahero claims he has done this job enough now that he can do it in 20 minutes. I'd like to know his method for this.

Also, does anyone have a video of how a slide hammer would be used for this. Youtube is covered in slide hammers being used to pull dents. I went to youtube to see what one is, but couldn't find a video showing how to pull an axle. Is there a different type for our purpose?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Werd. They've got them for $45 including the axle attachment, so I'll either go this route or see if I can rent one from somewhere.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
05223.gif

So I bought this from Harbor Freight, and as mentioned above- it took more time to bolt it onto the hubs than to remove the hubs. Damn- what a difference it makes, going from a 2lb slider to a 5lb unit! For you physics guys, I know what a huge difference there must be in the impact force between the two weights. I didn't even pull hard and each hub popped off on the 1st try.
Yay. Now I get to replace seals and bearings.
: )
ps- the side seals are the same p/n as auto transmission seals, apparently.
710142- Autozone, etc. sells them for $28!!!
The matching SKF part # is 16917
Bought them from these people for like $7 each;
www.jbr17llc.com/
Pinion seal(national, #1177) was only $4.00 from Rockauto(closeout).
Hope this helps someone.