What did you do to your supra today? Pics

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Doat;1980719 said:
I am tempted to get a 7in screen but the radio is not in a good spot for a screen in the supra, it's too low down.

I never have a problem with mine, but I drive an auto... The only time I have an issue is when it's in park and the shifter is too close to press the screen

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Doat;1980719 said:
I am tempted to get a 7in screen but the radio is not in a good spot for a screen in the supra, it's too low down.

The one I just put in is a 7 inch screen one. I think they look a lot better and less flashy than the non-touch screen ones. The position of the screen isn't a problem for me. I'm normally in 4th or 5th gear and both of those are out of the way. I also really like the Bluetooth audio, Pandora control, and hands free calling features. It makes the car seem newer on the inside. Ill get some pictures up tonight.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Silver MK3;1980806 said:
The one I just put in is a 7 inch screen one. I think they look a lot better and less flashy than the non-touch screen ones. The position of the screen isn't a problem for me. I'm normally in 4th or 5th gear and both of those are out of the way. I also really like the Bluetooth audio, Pandora control, and hands free calling features. It makes the car seem newer on the inside. Ill get some pictures up tonight.
Yea that's the main thing I want it for bluetooth, hands free stuff, and navigation.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I wish there was a true android head unit.. oh how glorious it would be to have Google maps, Google now, Google music.. all that stuff. Maybe I'll get like a 7 inch android tablet and stuff it in there lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Backlash2032;1980814 said:
I wish there was a true android head unit.. oh how glorious it would be to have Google maps, Google now, Google music.. all that stuff. Maybe I'll get like a 7 inch android tablet and stuff it in there lol

I bought a 7in android tablet from my job dirt cheap and an old center console piece to work on modding one up but I am not good with wiring lol. You can get a 7in tablet in there pretty nicely with a little modification/fabrication but the tricky bit is wiring it up to your speakers or head unit and charging it. If I was better with wiring I would have written a how to by now.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea I figured how to get it to play through the speakers and charge it up with it wired to the ignition so it turns on when the ignition is on and set it to sleep or stand by when it's off.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
The only thing I wouldnt like about it is it's going to be the same signal sent to the front and rear speakers. God what I'd give for an android 6 channel head unit.. :)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I don't know about the tablet thing. It would be a lot of custom work. I'm happy with my Kenwood. I am also an android person, and this one allows me to play my music and Pandora through Bluetooth from my phone and control it from the actual headunit so there is no need to even touch the phone. The hands free calling works well once again without having to touch the phone. I have a Galaxy S4 and it works well with this unit. I believe you can even use the voice command app on the phone to make calls through the headunit. I haven't actually tried this before because I don't make a lot of calls, especially while driving. I'm not sure if this headunit does navigation or not, I haven't seen it anywhere so I would assume it doesn't. This doesn't matter to me since I'm pretty good with directions and if I don't know where I'm going I just look it up before hand. On longer trips I usually have a passenger as well and they become the navigator if needed. :)

Here's the pics I promised. I think the unit looks good in the Supra. It isn't overly flashy or anything like that. It almost looks factory.

Sorry about the photo quality on this one.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't use navigation often and I also look up where I am going beforehand as well but it's nice to have here in Houston since it's so big. That's what she said :D

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Doat;1980897 said:
Are they hard to install compared to a single din head unit?

No, not at all. Probably easier actually because the stock radio is a double din one. The hardest part is attaching the incredibly short antenna cable (you can get an extender, but then there are more wires to stuff back there, mine did not fit with the extender) and getting all the wires coming off the back of the headunit stuffed back there, but this isn't that bad really, just takes a couple tries. I could have probably had this done in about an hour and a half if I had not gotten distracted by the stupid power antenna. This included taking the car apart and running the bluetooth mic wire up the a pillar and then putting it all back together.

The only thing I don't like is that the power antenna is up all the time, I ensured that it was wired correctly and even tried different ways but it would stay up all the time or not come up at all. I wanted to just unplug the power antenna and plug in the antenna that is built into the rear glass but apparently the connector on the 87's is some strange plug that no one has ever seen before and I couldn't find an adapter. I may just go with a stubby antenna or just deal with my antenna being up all the time even though I rarely listen to the radio.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Silver MK3;1980920 said:
No, not at all. Probably easier actually because the stock radio is a double din one. The hardest part is attaching the incredibly short antenna cable (you can get an extender, but then there are more wires to stuff back there, mine did not fit with the extender) and getting all the wires coming off the back of the headunit stuffed back there, but this isn't that bad really, just takes a couple tries. I could have probably had this done in about an hour and a half if I had not gotten distracted by the stupid power antenna. This included taking the car apart and running the bluetooth mic wire up the a pillar and then putting it all back together.

The only thing I don't like is that the power antenna is up all the time, I ensured that it was wired correctly and even tried different ways but it would stay up all the time or not come up at all. I wanted to just unplug the power antenna and plug in the antenna that is built into the rear glass but apparently the connector on the 87's is some strange plug that no one has ever seen before and I couldn't find an adapter. I may just go with a stubby antenna or just deal with my antenna being up all the time even though I rarely listen to the radio.
I don't think my antenna ever comes up lol I don't have problems with radio signal really but I rarely listen to the radio.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I have a version of that same head unit (DNX 6960?) with the nav and it fit just like factory without any of the standard bezels and trim rings normally needed