What did you do to your supra today? Pics

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Well, yesterday I took out the water pump, and it appears to be working just fine... So the overheating is coming from somewhere else.

I've already replaced the thermostat, like I said the water pump appears to be working good. The PO said he replaced the radiator and it does look newer, however I'm kind of hoping that it is clogged(there was lots of junk in the overflow). Because if it's not clogged, it might be a cracked head/BHG/clogged water ports...

Any other ideas?

I'm going to remove the upper/lower hoses from the radiator today and pour water in the top and see if it drains out the bottom. Hopefully that will tell me if it's clogged or not.

On a side note, my heater is also not working. Some say that might have something to do with it but not sure...

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

zby67

Nov 15, 2010
Texas
bleed the brakes!

p1909172_1.jpg

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Another question... I was told by PO that a possible reason for it overheating could be bubbles in the cooling system.

I don't see a bleed valve for the cooling system on this 7M-GE, am I missing it somewhere or is there not one? Also from research it seems as though to get rid of a supposed bubble the heater must be on, and neither the fan or heater work in this Supra...

Any input?

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
When you go to check your radiator might as well pull it out and put a hose to the bottom hole and flush it out the top.... I got a lot of junk out of my old 4runner radiator that way

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
mecevans;1909181 said:
Low coolant or heater valve stuck.

She had all the coolant she would take. It's not flowing past the radiator cap, just sits there then eventually overflows from the cap if left off. Where is the heater valve and how would I get it free? Thanks in advance.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
jdmfreak;1909186 said:
Did you check the thermostat? (I know it's been replaced) I have gotten bad ones before

Yeah, in fact when I got it and put the new one in, the was no thermostat at all in there and it was still overheating.

I just got done taking off the lower radiator hose and pouring water in the top, came out the bottom just fine.

Took the thermostat out and seen that it had been opening and closing because the new antifreeze traveled back behind it when open. So with the new thermostat out and the cover back on, I poured water though the hose to the thermostat housing, and it flowed just fine out the water pump housing(water pump is out currently).

Which hose is the inlet heater hose? Does anyone know? That's the next one I'm going to try and flush. Thanks.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
jdmfreak;1909182 said:
When you go to check your radiator might as well pull it out and put a hose to the bottom hole and flush it out the top.... I got a lot of junk out of my old 4runner radiator that way

I would if the landlord hadn't turned off the outside water for the winter... Lol.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Could the heater not turning on and working be in any way responsible for a stuck heater valve? My heater lights up and the vents change from face/legs/defrost, but it never blows any air. Just wondering if this could be related to my overheating issue. Thanks in advance guys.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Numba1Stuna;1909251 said:
Could the heater not turning on and working be in any way responsible for a stuck heater valve? My heater lights up and the vents change from face/legs/defrost, but it never blows any air. Just wondering if this could be related to my overheating issue. Thanks in advance guys.
That sounds more like the VSV to me. If the VSV doesn't operate, then the valve doesn't open. There's a temp sensor near the heater core that tells the climate control that you've got heat. The fans don't come on for heat unless that sensor gets warm. You can see if it's a fan problem by turning the temp to max cool and see if the fans come on then.

I always check my thermostats in a pot. Drop them into a pot of water and put them on the stove. You can watch it open before the water boils. (If you have a thermometer, it's better, but so long as it opens before the water boils, it's probably fine.) Don't let it sit on the bottom of the pot when you do this though, since the hot metal might damage the thermostat.

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Turbo Habanero;1908038 said:
[Video=youtube;eFr2tPJVQMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch? V=eFr2tPJVQMs[/video]
Man, you AZ kids didn't learn anything from Steven, did you? Put your damn filter on that turbo already... :nono:

zby67;1909172 said:
bleed the brakes!

p1909271_1.jpg
Looks to me like you bored your car to death over the course of 13 hours...

...I totally kid man, just watched the trilogy with my girlfriend a few months back. Skeptical though she was, she enjoyed it. :)

Numba1Stuna;1909189 said:
Yeah, in fact when I got it and put the new one in, the was no thermostat at all in there and it was still overheating.
No thermostat will do you no favors in regulating engine water temperature...

Sometimes you just have to go through and refresh things one thing at a time. I start with the cheaper stuff (thermostat, hoses, coolant), and work my way up the price list (water pump, clutch fan). Failing all that, you might just have a bad radiator. Had to replace the ENTIRE system on my Mk2. I expected a little maintenance before it could be driven home, but not that much. :p

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Yeah, same here te72. I was originally told by the PO, "All you need is new spark plugs..." Of course the car was 6 hours away, and I paid him to bring it back here to Boise...

On another note in my quest to resolve the overheating issue, Dan_Gyoba's advice fueled this a search in which I found this article online, http://www.rclambert.com/supra/vsv.htm and found out mine was stuck closed, so I manually opened it. I'll reroute the vacuums tomorrow then throw the pump and thermostat back in. Hopefully that will offer some resolution.
y5atujur.jpg

Last edited:

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
While we are on the subject of air vents, is there anyway to fix the Low setting on the fan speed? On low there is nothing and on medium it feels like high lol.

zby67

Nov 15, 2010
Texas
te72;1909271 said:
Looks to me like you bored your car to death over the course of 13 hours...
...I totally kid man, just watched the trilogy with my girlfriend a few months back. Skeptical though she was, she enjoyed it. :)

not a problem actually that was an empty bottle i now just need a new vacuum line some coolant and ill be able to move her. but need a new passenger wheel bearing.