What did you do to your supra today? Pics

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I didn't do anything big today, but I did vinyl wrap my windshield corner trim pieces. Ever since I realized that they were black from the factory and not silver it has bothered me because I pay attention to little details. I ordered some gloss black 3M vinyl wrap about two weeks ago and got around to it today. I basically cut a piece big enough to cover the whole piece and wrapped the surrounding trim and paint with masking tape. Then I slowly peeled the backing off the vinyl and applied it to the trim using a hair dryer to make the vinyl more pliable. Once I got all the corners worked and everything smoothed out I used an X-acto knife and cut off the excess. I think it came out pretty good. It has a factory appearance to it and matches the OEM trim perfectly.

Before: I'm sure all of you guys know what this looks like, for some reason it seems like all Supras have lost the black coating on these particular parts over the years no matter how well kept they were.

After:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Silver MK3;1995711 said:
I didn't do anything big today, but I did vinyl wrap my windshield corner trim pieces. Ever since I realized that they were black from the factory and not silver it has bothered me because I pay attention to little details. I ordered some gloss black 3M vinyl wrap about two weeks ago and got around to it today. I basically cut a piece big enough to cover the whole piece and wrapped the surrounding trim and paint with masking tape. Then I slowly peeled the backing off the vinyl and applied it to the trim using a hair dryer to make the vinyl more pliable. Once I got all the corners worked and everything smoothed out I used an X-acto knife and cut off the excess. I think it came out pretty good. It has a factory appearance to it and matches the OEM trim perfectly.

Before: I'm sure all of you guys know what this looks like, for some reason it seems like all Supras have lost the black coating on these particular parts over the years no matter how well kept they were.

I think that came out very well!

After:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Silver MK3;1995711 said:

I think that came out very well!

After:

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
That turned out well. It seems like you did not remove the corner pieces, is that correct? They were painted at the factory, and over time the dust abrades the paint off. Same for the windshield wiper arms. The big trim pieces are plastic coated, and the plastic eventually cracks and falls off. I bought new pieces for those.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
3p141592654;1995734 said:
That turned out well. It seems like you did not remove the corner pieces, is that correct? They were painted at the factory, and over time the dust abrades the paint off. Same for the windshield wiper arms. The big trim pieces are plastic coated, and the plastic eventually cracks and falls off. I bought new pieces for those.

Correct, I did not remove them. It took me maybe 30 minutes or so and I have never done this before. I did have to peel my first try and do it again though because i cut the vinyl to close to the trim and the silver was showing through. I could see just slim traces of the black paint left on mine and they have been like that since I got the car when it had 70k miles about three years ago. It took me a while to even realize that they were supposed to be black. My windshield wiper arms and cowl had started fading so I pulled them off and painted them with an SEM paint probably about a year ago and it has held up well. They came out looking almost perfect. Had I known about vinyl wrapping at the time I may have tried wrapping the cowl also.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I just threaded my new shift knob. Nothing crazy, but it weighs 17 ounces and is made of solid stainless steel. I'm going to try this whole weighted shift knob thing out.

In the case it sucks, I still have my TRD knob and a Scion TC knob to fall back on.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I got beat by a cobalt ss, not too happy about it but he had more mods on it than my 7m also having an exhaust leak and bad clutch doesn't help.

PhxBlue

Feb 9, 2014
Arizona
Well there it is. But that steering knuckle is supposed to be attached to the steering shaft up in the car still.

Oye........

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394905161.936937.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394905173.352565.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhxBlue

Feb 9, 2014
Arizona
So I WAS going to install the new rack (remanufactured) but the passenger side bracket was in the wrong place on the rack. I tried to gently pry it into place but it wasn't budging. I decided to move the boot back so I could loosen the nut that holds the bracket in place and move it to the right spot.. Instead I found why the thing was stuck...

DUBYA TEE EFF!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
Doat;1995764 said:
I got beat by a cobalt ss, not too happy about it but he had more mods on it than my 7m also having an exhaust leak and bad clutch doesn't help.

Sorry to say, that doesn't surprise me if it was a turbo ss. I had a 2009 Turbo SS. BONE stock with just a Tri-fecta tune, it is 310hp/360tq. Add a few other mods and they hit 400hp (in a 2700lb car) pretty easily. Where they are limited is, no one has come up with any help for the direct injection yet. My problem was trying to get traction in the FWD. They also have "no-lift shift", which is if you shift quickly when going through the gears you don't have to let off the throttle at all. There is an algorithm (I think that's the correct term) built in which will hold your rpms up so you don't lose boost. When I would hit 2nd on no-lift shift it would leave an impressive patch with both front wheels. (This was my SS)

p1995830_1.jpg

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
grsupra87;1995830 said:
Sorry to say, that doesn't surprise me if it was a turbo ss. I had a 2009 Turbo SS. BONE stock with just a Tri-fecta tune, it is 310hp/360tq. Add a few other mods and they hit 400hp (in a 2700lb car) pretty easily. Where they are limited is, no one has come up with any help for the direct injection yet. My problem was trying to get traction in the FWD. They also have "no-lift shift", which is if you shift quickly when going through the gears you don't have to let off the throttle at all. There is an algorithm (I think that's the correct term) built in which will hold your rpms up so you don't lose boost. When I would hit 2nd on no-lift shift it would leave an impressive patch with both front wheels. (This was my SS)

p1995844_1.jpg
Yea those little fuckers are quicker than people think

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
toyotanos;1995751 said:
I just threaded my new shift knob. Nothing crazy, but it weighs 17 ounces and is made of solid stainless steel. I'm going to try this whole weighted shift knob thing out.

In the case it sucks, I still have my TRD knob and a Scion TC knob to fall back on.

I dig the all-stainless weighted knob. :)

p1995876_1.jpg

Today, I received my new carpet, and began fitting it. It's a bit of work, but I'm more than half done at this point.

p1995876_2.jpg

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Having a metal shift knob here in Houston is a bad idea lol you'll burn your hand when the hot summer arrives unless you have awesome ceramic tint like I do.

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
Doat;1995877 said:
Having a metal shift knob here in Houston is a bad idea lol you'll burn your hand when the hot summer arrives unless you have awesome ceramic tint like I do.
Lol, you're not supposed to keepnyourbhand on the shift knob. Just shift and put your hand backbon the steering wheel.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
ImperfectSupra;1995878 said:
Lol, you're not supposed to keepnyourbhand on the shift knob. Just shift and put your hand backbon the steering wheel.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Usually I don't but that is only on the highway when I am on the street most of the time my hand is on the shifter because traffic sucks.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I was talking to the other guy. I can only imagine that a bare metal shifter knob would be comparable to seat belt latches.. and those fuckers hurt even if you touch them for a split second lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk