What causes valve buckets to not slide onto the valves freely?

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Only two of the buckets I've installed so far have slid onto my valves freely. One other one went on with a minimal amount of very light tapping, but I took it out because I know that's not what it's supposed to be like. What causes this? When I took the head off, they all slid out perfectly fine. Suggestions?

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
using a valve tool like this and scratching up the bores
images

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
87mgte;991111 said:
Only two of the buckets I've installed so far have slid onto my valves freely. One other one went on with a minimal amount of very light tapping, but I took it out because I know that's not what it's supposed to be like. What causes this? When I took the head off, they all slid out perfectly fine. Suggestions?

Are you putting them in dry or with a little oil? The tolerance is also very tight if the are not perfectly square when you try to drop them in they will bind. Take it slow and you should be fine.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i took out 24+24+24 buckets in the past two weeks... and the problem is that you have to put them in straight onto the springs. if they give you a little trouble, tap them to one side, or just tap them in, as once they are in, they seat themselves.

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
I cleaned mine off and they did not go in easily without a lot of oil on them. I tapped them with a hammer and cloth and they all slide in fine with that little bit of coercing.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Rennat;991137 said:
i took out 24+24+24 buckets in the past two weeks... and the problem is that you have to put them in straight onto the springs. if they give you a little trouble, tap them to one side, or just tap them in, as once they are in, they seat themselves.

Uhhh... I know they have to be straight on the springs. With clearances that tight, they won't just glide in there loosely with room to spare.

When I took the head off and flipped it upside down, all the buckets came out smoothly. Now, after reinstalling the valves using the "secret weapon", My buckets won't fit. Is my head basically screwed or is there somethin I can do to make em fit?

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Aspec;991123 said:
Are you putting them in dry or with a little oil? The tolerance is also very tight if the are not perfectly square when you try to drop them in they will bind. Take it slow and you should be fine.

I coated em in oil like you're supposed to, and it doesn't make a difference at all.

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
87mgte;991879 said:
Uhhh... I know they have to be straight on the springs. With clearances that tight, they won't just glide in there loosely with room to spare.

Uhhh... Unless you scratched or nicked up the bore when you serviced the head they should drop right in once lined up properly. No ifs, ands or buts, they should fall in just like they fell out when you removed them.

and
IJ.;970329 said:
Diagnosing a problem should start with "What have I fucked with and is it connected to the problem"

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
jdub;992057 said:
Well, the TSRM directs you keep the lifters/shims in order when removed

Oops. Nice catch. I totally assumed that was a given. A 24 compartment (4 rows of 6) lure/bait box works great and is easy to label.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Aspec;992043 said:
Uhhh... Unless you scratched or nicked up the bore when you serviced the head they should drop right in once lined up properly. No ifs, ands or buts, they should fall in just like they fell out when you removed them.

and

I haven't touched the bores except for to clean em with a rag as far as I know. So I'm guessing something went wrong with my head somewhere between the teardown, machine shop, and my house, and I now need a new head. My friend that's hopefully coming over today has an n/a head, so I'll probably have to end up using that and then swapping the cams over. Shit, hope it's assembled.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
jdub;992057 said:
Well, the TSRM directs you keep the lifters/shims in order when removed:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=EM&P=41
(I'm thinking there's a good reason for this)

It also has a oil clearance spec for the lifter in the head:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=EM&P=49
(I know there's a good reason for this one)

When installed, the lifters should rotate freely by hand...I'm not too sure about the hammer tap in technique.

I remmber takin philips head and poking holes in old oil cans to put push rods in.. then neatly lay lifters in valve covers in order :} aint seen a oil can in 25 years i bet

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LOL...that's funny Hommer. Did the same thing back in the day ;)

87mgte - I doubt you need a new head (unless there's another issue)...it looks like to me you mixed the lifters/shims up, here's what I would do: Take each one and go around the different valve bores till you find a fit. You going to be playing "find the pea under the cup" for a bit here. You'll have to do this by feel...the lifter should just slide in if aligned correctly. Once you get them all in, check the clearances...if good, press on. If you find one that's tight and one that's loose, swap them.

After all this, you'll have to check valve lash clearance...you might need some new shims.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
There is a reason why each bucket has to go to a certain valve. Because when the metal expands each time after long periods of time each one will be very and I mean very slightly different. Thats why the TSRM has you keep each bucket for each valve.

I also have a 96 saturn that uses the same setup. And in their repair manual they have annotated the same thing where you have to have them organized. So this is what I did. I did a egg carton and numbered each one and put each bucket and shim in each egg slot so that way it was easy to remember and keep organized. YOU DONT NEED A NEW HEAD! As long as its been machined properly and you have the right shims you should be fine. I remember when I built my jg turbo head for the saturn I used diamond cut solid buckets instead of the regular hydraulic ones so dont worry you should be fine just go through each bucket and each one will fit accordingly.