What camera do you guys use?

EverAfter

Just Getting Started
Mar 4, 2010
Virginia
I've come to realize the point and shoot cam I use doesn't seem to capture the image of my build I want. While it could be user error I'd like to believe its the hardware's fault haha. So what cameras do you guys use?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Point and shoot Nikon Coolpix 8800, I'm lazy and a bit of a gumby photographer but it takes nice pics with minimal fiddling.

3633164641895053.JPG

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
My point&shoot is an Olympus Stylus 770sw. It's shock and waterpoof, 7.1 megapixel. It takes pretty good pics, and is touch as nails. I drop it, throw it, drop tools on it, keep it in my back pocket (it's only about 3.5-4" long and maybe an inch thick). I've dropped it on rocks while hiking, take it in the ocean when on vacation, drop it in the sand, get grease on it from the garage, set a hot soldering iron on it once by accident. LOL. (aluminum case FTW) It's takes decent macro pics, has an LED for macro mode and a regular flash. I've had it about 4 years or so and still love it. The battery also lasts quite a long time.

If you were to get one, get the 10.1MP newer one, as the panoramic feature on the newer one is WAY better, and easier to use. Very cool and practical. Oh yeah, and when you press and hold the Menu button the LED turns on when the camera is off to use as a flashlight. :)

Intrnlstorm

One Jizzle
Aug 27, 2006
Schenectady, NY
I use a Cannon 40D (SLR). The 30D can be found pretty cheap as can the 20D. Lenses are easy to find as are parts and the pictures are great. Easy to use too. We have a lot of 30Ds for my photography club and I lend them out the kids for the year. Great, all around camera.

Joel

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
shaeff;1570112 said:
My point&shoot is an Olympus Stylus 770sw. It's shock and waterpoof, 7.1 megapixel. It takes pretty good pics, and is tough as nails. I drop it, throw it, drop tools on it, keep it in my back pocket (it's only about 3.5-4" long and maybe an inch thick). I've dropped it on rocks while hiking, take it in the ocean when on vacation, drop it in the sand, get grease on it from the garage, set a hot soldering iron on it once by accident. LOL. (aluminum case FTW) It's takes decent macro pics, has an LED for macro mode and a regular flash. I've had it about 4 years or so and still love it. The battery also lasts quite a long time.

If you were to get one, get the 10.1MP newer one, as the panoramic feature on the newer one is WAY better, and easier to use. Very cool and practical. Oh yeah, and when you press and hold the Menu button the LED turns on when the camera is off to use as a flashlight. :)

The Nikon is the exact opposite of this...... :(
Look at it on the wrong angle and it fails..

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^LOL that sucks! My non P&S is an oldschool Cannon A-1. I <3 that camera but have no time to just go out and take pics.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I have an old Olympus 1.3mp pointNshoot that's tough as a very tough thing, the Nikon fell off my bed onto a carpeted floor and died horribly and had to go back for service..... :nono:

Stupidly I do the early adopter thing and buy the new gen 1 tech intead of wait for gen 2 which is always faster/better/cheaper.
(had my 8mp Nikon when the standard was 5mp, ditto on my JVC harddisc camcorder and the new gen of each is just so much better)

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
ERA;1572326 said:

+1. Though I don't have experience with much else, I've found my Nikon D40 to be a great camera to take quick pictures with in auto mode but still give me the versatility of a DSLR.