What benefits do Brian Crower 7mge/7mgte stage 2 Cams have?

surferofthesnow

Feb 14, 2008
Ketchum, ID
I haven't been able to find much information on the Brian Crower stage 2 cams. What are the increases in power or torque? Have you noticed anything different after installing yours?

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
surferofthesnow;927952 said:
I haven't been able to find much information on the Brian Crower stage 2 cams. What are the increases in power or torque? Have you noticed anything different after installing yours?

Copied directly from the search sticky in the introduction section, and from the link I have in the N/A Upgrade FAQ.....

Ma70.Ent said:
Search is very simple, but some people don't know how to use it or pretend like they don't, so now there's no reason for you not to use Search.

The Search button is VERY useful here. You can find a lot of information by using it instead of browsing through pages. If you want to find it, look towards the red circle in this image I've provided:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

By clicking on that search, you can type in whatever you want into that search box and get a lot of information. To make finding the information you want easier, click on "Advanced Search" which is in blue text.

Once you have that open, the following screen will appear:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Type the most relevant text into the "Key Word(s)" box. Choose if you want the search engine to look at "Entire Posts", or just for the Key Word(s) in the Topic Title with "Titles Only".

If you're looking for information from a certain member you believe to be knowledgeable, then in the box to the right of "Key Word(s)" type in the user name of the user you want to see information from. By picking "Find Posts by User" you will look throughout that user's whole posting history for the information, while if you choose "Find Threads Started by User" you will only look in the topic titles of that user's posting history.

If you believe that one of our specific sections will have the information you're looking for, then look towards the right where it says "Search in Forum(s)". The default is "Search Open Forums", which means search every single section of this site for the Key Word(s). When saying that you are "Also search in child forums", it refers to the sub-forums that you can go to if you click on the original section. Usually you should leave this on.

Most of the other search boxes under the "Key Word(s)" section are pretty obvious. You can specify the number of a replies the thread should have had (whether you want it to be a thread with a thorough long debate/discussion or a short thread), you can specify the date the posts were made and whether you want to view posts newer or older than that certain time, and with Thread Prefixes, depending on the section, if you specify the Thread Prefix, you can specify your search even further within a forum. For example, the 7MGE N/A section has 3 Thread Prefixes (Mod/Maint/Other), and by picking one of those along with all of the options above, you can definitely find some specific information. Some sections do not have thread prefixes, and some do. Also, you can sort the results in a vast amount of ways. Finally, you can decide whether you want to display the results as Threads/Topics, or Posts.

After you finally go through the above, you will see a page like this. I typed in "Intake" without touching any of the options discussed above, and this is what I got:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Now you can click on any of these topics, and the depending on what you put, the word "intake" will be highlighted in red, because that is what you searched for.

Good luck using the search engine. If you use it well, you won't make people angry :)

Here are a list of short/common words that you might not be able to search for:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7578

I typed in Brian Crower and limited the search to the 7MGE forums and got results that would easily help you.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
OUCH!

The guys first post, and his first reply is SEARCH, by the King of Search.

In all seriousness, that search thread has been very helpful to me already. I've never really used the advanced search before. I guess that's because I just a retarded kind of guy.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
ForcedTorque;927970 said:
OUCH!

The guys first post, and his first reply is SEARCH, by the King of Search.

In all seriousness, that search thread has been very helpful to me already. I've never really used the advanced search before. I guess that's because I just a retarded kind of guy.

I can't really tell if this is sarcasm :(

Anyways, I really did find good stuff.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56763&highlight=brian+crower

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59557&highlight=brian+crower

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
It was meant as a compliment to you. It has opened my eyes to a couple of parts of the search that I have never even noticed. The view as posts is really helpful now that I realize it is there. That really saves some time. And the search by poster could be really beneficial as well on subjects where a lot of differing opinions are out there. There are people here that I trust the opinions of more than others.

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
Here is one of my latest dyno results.
Run at intake 0 & exhaust -2, timing 13 & 17 BTDC in a auto Cressida, with the BC264 cams.
As you can see it comes to life around 4000 & keeps pulling strong.
The grey dotted line is just my torque curve drawing attempt.
Remember that our Australian dyno figures are very conservative compared to yours & the car is stock except for the cams & exhaust system & running the standard ECU.
Would make a reasonable amount more with a manual tranny & a standalone.

Attachments

• dyno18208.JPG
    dyno18208.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 62

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
surferofthesnow;928476 said:
Wow ma70! I already tried that. I was starting a new thread to find results from other people who have installed them already.

And there were some discussion threads I linked you to that had some information on people's experiences...BLACKCAT being one of them. I think he gained 15 RWHP from installing them?

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
You might want to look at this thread before buying BC cams:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56763

There are several issues with them,
Distributor gears out of sync.
Bearing journal sizes vary from one bearing to another a LOT !
Front bearing journal oil grove out of spec.
Overall finish & workmanship leaves a lot to be desired.

And if you search the net, you will see that this is not just his 7M cams.
Nissan & Honda guys having issues also.

Do not confuse Brian Crower with Crower.
He is old man Crower's son, who for one reason or another set out on his own, and milking the Crower name.

I'll stick with my TODA cams, thank you !!

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Yup, and you don't have to find thicker (Heavier) shims.......
Either get hard welds, or JDM cams (HKS,TODA,JUN, etc.).
I think there is a set on eRip right now (TODAs).

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
I am amazed how many people are putting undue crap on these cams.
Sure the build quality leaves a bit to be desired but for the money they are good value & they do perform well.
I dont really care about the Nissan & Honda problems as I have given my hell & have no issues with them at all.
Pity they dont come with a 9mm lift for the 264 duration.:nono:
As far as tuning them its just a matter of filing out the dizzy slot & adjusting the idle set screw which is less than an hour job.:biglaugh:
If your tuner cannot get it to idle properly dont blame the cams but his lack of knowledge.

Attachments

• dizzy1.JPG
    dizzy1.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 26

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Blackcat,
Here is a quote of what you said your bearing journal sizes were:
BLACKCAT;930387 said:
Measured the BC 264 cams:

Intake:
Journals: 26.96mm .92 .90 .92 .93 .91 .92
Lobes: 39.20 .22 .21 .22 .21 .19 .21 .19 .20 .19 .21 .19

Exhaust:
Journals: 26.98 .93 .93 .92 .93 .92 .92
Lobes: 39.22 .22 .23 .23 .22 .21 .20 .20 .20 .20 .19 .19.

That is not good workmanship, or quality control.

I guess when I do an engine, I have pleanty to do already.
I would rather not have to jack with correcting problems caused by poor quality control.
I have never seen a name brand cam have issues like this.