What bellhousings will bolt to a 7mgte?

BoostedRunner87

Nov 21, 2009
Summerset South Dakota
Hey guys I recently bought an 87 4runner with a 7mgte swapped into it. I have built it as a rock crawler and it currently has 40" tires on it. My clutch is showing some pretty good signs of wear so I am trying to figure out which clutch I need to buy. Here is my problem.... I cant identify the bellhousing. Obviously the 7mgte came with an r154 transmission bolted to it, but I have looked at pictures of that trannsmission to compare the bellhousing and it looks completely different than mine. The bellhousing I have has no ribs on the outside, and the slave cylinder is mounted on the driver side. Now one thing is for sure, I do not have an r154 gearbox because that obviously wouldnt bolt up to a toyota transfer case. I am almost 100% positive I have an r151f gearbox, but the bellhousing is unknown. Is there any other manual trannsmission that will bolt up to the 7mgte? I need to somehow find out whats going on here so I will know if I need a supra clutch or a toyota pickup clutch. Any info is greatly appreciated! thanks guys

BoostedRunner87

Nov 21, 2009
Summerset South Dakota
nick88;1586053 said:
Contact the guy that did the swap? :dunno:

Thats a good thought, but unfortunately its not an option

---------- Post added at 06:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ----------

mattsplat72;1586060 said:
the w58 from a NA 5spd would bolt up to a GTE.
I will have to check into that, thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

hvyman;1586070 said:
Can you get some pics?
I will try tonight, been really busy.

maj75

Apr 14, 2010
Miami, FL
You are on the wrong forum. Go to www.yotatech.com. They are 4runner forum and this swap is fairly common.

IIRC there is a version of the R154 that does bolt to the toyota transfer case. If you look at your 4runner's vin and tags you should be able to figure out what the truck came with originally. You don't give the year of your 4runner, but it was most likely either a 22R or a 3.0V6. Unlikely that the trans was swapped when the 7MGTE was swapped.

BoostedRunner87

Nov 21, 2009
Summerset South Dakota
I am not necessarily on the wrong forum. i want to know what all will bolt up to a 7mgte. People on this forum will know alot more about that than the idiots on yotatech. I have been a member of alot bigger and better toyota off road forum than yotatech for several years now. My 4runner is an 87, and yes I do know enough about it to know that it originally had a 22re 4cyl engine:icon_roll with a manual tranny ( I believe the original would have been a w56) It really does not matter what was originally in the truck because it has all been swapped out. I am just trying to gain some knowledge from you supra guys, so dont try and tell me i'm on the wrong forum:3d_frown:

maj75

Apr 14, 2010
Miami, FL
[strike]First of all piss off. [/strike] Tone it down - SC

Second, if you think that anyone on this forum knows what will bolt between a 7M and a Toyota transfer case in a 87 4runner, you are fooling yourself. If it isn't a Toyota transfer case, then:

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES

Last edited by a moderator:

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
maj75;1586818 said:
First of all piss off.

Second, if you think that anyone on this forum knows what will bolt between a 7M and a Toyota transfer case in a 87 4runner, you are fooling yourself. If it isn't a Toyota transfer case, then:

First, who are you to come in here and say what people know about what. I know there are several 4runner guys on this site. If you are going to bring this kind of attitude onto one of the best forums around, you should leave as soon as you got here. We will offer all the help you will need on this site, and you are not one of them so I vote you should piss off.

Thread should be moved to other-cars.

BoostedRunner87

Nov 21, 2009
Summerset South Dakota
maj75;1586818 said:
First of all piss off.

First of all, If you were smart enough to read, the title states "What bellhousings will bolt to a 7mgte?" That has nothing to do with a toyota transfer case. I already know what gearbox I have, and I already know what transfer case I have, so none of that is relevent. All I wanted to know was what transmissions will bolt to a 7mgte so I could help myself in narrowing down what bellhousing I have. I guarantee that guys on a supra forum will kow more about that than guys on a 4x4 forum. Second, dont tell me to piss off in my own thread! If you are going to be a richard, then dont even bother posting in my thread. As far as pictures goes, that doesnt matter either because I now know what bellhousing I have

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

nick88;1586883 said:
First, who are you to come in here and say what people know about what. I know there are several 4runner guys on this site. If you are going to bring this kind of attitude onto one of the best forums around, you should leave as soon as you got here. We will offer all the help you will need on this site, and you are not one of them so I vote you should piss off.

Thread should be moved to other-cars.

Thanks for helping me out on this one. I am not real familiar with this forum yet so I wasnt sure where the best place to post would be. I figured since this thread is basically for supra bellhousing information, I figured it would be ok in this section.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
maj75;1586818 said:
First of all piss off.

GTFO of my forum with that attitude.

As for the OP, it honestly sounds like a W58 bell housing, and could very well be a W58 trans too. Like someone said above the W58 will bolt to the 7mgte. I would thought use a R154 with the 7m bell housing if you ever go the route of upgrading the motor.

BoostedRunner87

Nov 21, 2009
Summerset South Dakota
SupraMario;1586905 said:
As for the OP, it honestly sounds like a W58 bell housing, and could very well be a W58 trans too. Like someone said above the W58 will bolt to the 7mgte. I would thought use a R154 with the 7m bell housing if you ever go the route of upgrading the motor.

Well I have looked at pictures of the w58 bell and it does not look like the one I have. I am pretty sure I have the adaptor bell from Monster Performance.
I finally got some pics, these are the best I could get. Because of other parts In the way, these are the only areas you can see.

Attachments

• 0629001747..jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 0629001748..jpg
    0629001748..jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 0629001747a..jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 15

BoostedRunner87

Nov 21, 2009
Summerset South Dakota
nick88;1586917 said:
What trans do you have?
Well it has to be an r151f because it has a 23 spline output to mate up to my 23 spline t-cases. The 23 spline cases are hard to find and are much stronger than a standard 21 spline case. The 23 spline cases came only in the 86 and 87 turbo toyota pickups. With that being said I am pretty sure I have the adaptor bellhousing because it is made to bolt directly to r151f or r150 transmissions.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Yea, thats not a w58 bellhousing, I looked for the Monster Performance transmission and they don't have anything for Toyota. Unless I'm looking at the wrong shop website. It does look custom though.

BoostedRunner87

Nov 21, 2009
Summerset South Dakota
SupraMario;1587045 said:
Yea, thats not a w58 bellhousing, I looked for the Monster Performance transmission and they don't have anything for Toyota. Unless I'm looking at the wrong shop website. It does look custom though.
There is a link to the site on the first page of this thread if you want to check it out.

B_JAY

Apr 29, 2010
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
ive seen many custom boxes behind 7m's, from 6 speed manuals to powerglides
factory 5 speed: r154 w55 w57 w58 are all possible
But im willing to bet you have a custom bellhousing...

iirc the a340h auto from the 90-95 4runner may fit the M, but its probably not what youre after
There are also many other custom options for the M, but I know nothing of offroading