What bearings are the best for you???

oscarsupra

Dec 23, 2006
El Salvador, Central America
I am doing a rebuild in a 7mgte motor but I dont have the bearings yet. I want to know which are the best 7m bearings and where can I buy them???

Somebody tell that clevite 77 but he said that they are NDC or ACL bearings really and it is dificult to find the original clevite 77 bearings.

If clevite are best tell me where can I find them???

or which are the best????

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
clevite77 are repackaged NDC bearings but they are still good quality. I picked mine up at Checkers/Shucks/Kragen. Napa/Autozone/you local parts store probably sells them also. I'm not sure what kind of auto parts stores you have in El Salvador but you should have some kind of similar store. If you really cannot find them just get Toyota oem bearings. They will work just as well.

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Hey Man, It depends on what you're hunting for.

Performance- I'ld hit up raceengineering.com, they got racing bearing.

Okayness (hehe :icon_bigg ) - local parts shop.

Hope this helps.

Later

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
i used to use clevite but since they were bought out by some other company, their quality has gone done some (this came from a performance engine builder- plenty of experience with supras, one of them making just under 1000hp). they r still good bearings though. however i have switched over to king bearings (not the ebay ones). they cost a little more than clevite but excellent quality.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Whats the point of a "performance" bearing? Nothing should be touching the bearing anyway, and if surface finish is what they advertise then the OEM designed for longevity would be just as good.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supra_ed said:
i used to use clevite but since they were bought out by some other company, their quality has gone done some (this came from a performance engine builder- plenty of experience with supras, one of them making just under 1000hp). they r still good bearings though. however i have switched over to king bearings (not the ebay ones). they cost a little more than clevite but excellent quality.
Hope they're King Trimetals and NOT their Bimetal bearings.....

mkIIIman089 said:
Whats the point of a "performance" bearing? Nothing should be touching the bearing anyway, and if surface finish is what they advertise then the OEM designed for longevity would be just as good.
Colin: the "point" is while there isn't physical contact there is still enormous pressure from the Oil wedge and if any of the layers isn't up to the task (King Bimetal) the surface will "smear" and deform causing failure.

It can also delaminate/peel.

I messed around with quite a few different bearings constructions trying to find something that would survive at 8000+ and 30 psi last year.

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
IJ. said:
Hope they're King Trimetals and NOT their Bimetal bearings.....

Colin: the "point" is while there isn't physical contact there is still enormous pressure from the Oil wedge and if any of the layers isn't up to the task (King Bimetal) the surface will "smear" and deform causing failure.

It can also delaminate/peel.

I messed around with quite a few different bearings constructions trying to find something that would survive at 8000+ and 30 psi last year.
Ian what did you find to be the best for your needs?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I worked on this with my machine shop (one of the biggest Crank shops in Australia) the ACL's weren't recommended as they tend to flake/delaminate under high loads.

Original Clevite "P's" were the first choice but they're no longer in production, I use NDC's both main and rods for awhile and found I was wiping them when used at tight clearences so this time I went with an NDC/Federal Mogul Combination set a little looser.

Won't really know how successful it's been until the next tear down.

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
IJ. said:
I worked on this with my machine shop (one of the biggest Crank shops in Australia) the ACL's weren't recommended as they tend to flake/delaminate under high loads.

Original Clevite "P's" were the first choice but they're no longer in production, I use NDC's both main and rods for awhile and found I was wiping them when used at tight clearences so this time I went with an NDC/Federal Mogul Combination set a little looser.

Won't really know how successful it's been until the next tear down.

You can tell that this is an old guy because he just knows too much.

Steve

oscarsupra

Dec 23, 2006
Boys

Where can I find the original bearings (clevite or King Trimetal) all the people say me all the time that they are not original but where can I buy the original bearings. I need a very good bearings to rebuild my engine.

That I want to know if this bearigns (bearings of your choice) can support a lot of horse power and have a long life motor.

What do you recomend me I only need very good bearings???

ACL, KING, CLEVITE(NOT ORIGINAL), NDC. and Where can I find them????

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Steve: LOL funny how if you do something for a long time you get good at it ;)

Oscar: Clevite= NDC's in Clevite boxes and can be bought just about anywhere, PM Big Aaron from driftmotion and he'll hook you up with a set.

You don't really want ACL's if it's going to be a high power build (hurts me to say this seeing as they're made here)

Kings as long as they're TriMetal maybe but I'd guess Aaron can source these as well.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I may be mistaken, but I recall that ACL's were recommended by a lot of high HP (800whp+) MKIV Supras back in the day. Not really sure what they're using these days.

Still, I don't doubt you at all IJ.

I used Clevite's in the past, and they worked great...... with oil. hehe

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
I still have some original Clevite 7m bearings laying around, but I will not come off of them. The "new" Clevites are more than enough bearing for 90% of all 7m rebuilds. The highest hp 7m I know of runs std clevite bearings spinning at over 9000 rpm.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
the bearings im using are the trimetals. if u go to a any respectable machine shop (im assuming u r taking ur stuff to one, with experience with imports/ supras) they will be able to find/ recommend a good bearing for u. tell them wat u want and they could probably find it cheaper than buying it yourself.

oscarsupra

Dec 23, 2006
Sorry

But I dont live in USA. I live in a little country in Central America and the machine shops dont sell this bearings here.

That is the reason beacuse I am asking you I need to buy it in the USA and then bring it to El Salvador. It is not easy for me.

SIP racing. Do you only sell by EBay.com I would like to buy the originals if you have them.