what are you running for an alternator

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
hey everyone,

just wondering what kind of alternators you all are running and what amps you all are putting out. please post pics, hope to see what all of you have

myself im running a stinger alt that puts out 220amps and it was powder coated to a cherry red

p1043778_1.jpg

p1043778_2.jpg

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Wow man... Hide those cables! Nice ass alternator though. You got me beat... Except the fact that your alternator probably sucks 20hp.... lol

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
romaniello;1043903 said:
That is one good looking alternator.

thank you

pbasil1;1043911 said:
Wow man... Hide those cables! Nice ass alternator though. You got me beat... Except the fact that your alternator probably sucks 20hp.... lol

yeah i could put the cables on the side of the battery... never gave it any thought before... however, how often do you see 0g wire on a supra lol. i wouldn't think i would loose anymore horsepower than a stock one, same size pully and what not, do you really think im loosing? let me see a pic of yours

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
shenronzero;1043974 said:
i wouldn't think i would loose anymore horsepower than a stock one, same size pully and what not, do you really think im loosing? let me see a pic of yours
Alternators are pretty good. They only take as much power as they need to generate the current that's needed.

If you aren't drawing more than 80A from the electrical system (70A for an NA) then that will take as much power to spin as the stocker. (BTW, underdrive pulleys don't do anything for the alternator drag at anything over about 2200 RPM. By that speed, the alternator can still have it's full effect, which takes the same amount of power.)

If you are drawing more than that, it's probably because your stereo is registering as a seismic event somewhere, and you're not really going for speed anyway.

Edit: I used to be running a stock alternator rewound for 100A, but when that died, I'm running a stock GTE alternator (Which I was running on the 7M-GE.) I'm not competing anymore, and hardly ever crank up the volume for my own listening, so the extra amps aren't really necessary.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
Dan_Gyoba;1044055 said:
Alternators are pretty good. They only take as much power as they need to generate the current that's needed.

If you aren't drawing more than 80A from the electrical system (70A for an NA) then that will take as much power to spin as the stocker. (BTW, underdrive pulleys don't do anything for the alternator drag at anything over about 2200 RPM. By that speed, the alternator can still have it's full effect, which takes the same amount of power.)

If you are drawing more than that, it's probably because your stereo is registering as a seismic event somewhere, and you're not really going for speed anyway.

Edit: I used to be running a stock alternator rewound for 100A, but when that died, I'm running a stock GTE alternator (Which I was running on the 7M-GE.) I'm not competing anymore, and hardly ever crank up the volume for my own listening, so the extra amps aren't really necessary.

cool thanks for that info... mine puts out 14.4 @ 1700rpms there is a crap load of copper spool in there. yeah im not so much for speed right now i just like my music :evil2:

p1044379_1.jpg