What are you reading?

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
flight doc89;1815796 said:
Rereading Dark Tower series

I loved that series of books and spent years cursing King for writing the series almost 22 years apart. I started reading them in 1990 and finished 17 years later when he finally finished the Dark Tower.

Now he decides to release another book that's a flashback so I have to start all over again haha. It's a good problem to have.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
te72;1835014 said:
So... paper or plastic guys? I recall once upon a time on a road trip to Arizona when I was younger, wishing that I could read books on my original Gameboy that I had a light and magnifying glass for. Wish I had the business sense back then to patent that idea, I would be making some serious money from these Kindle things...

That said, I've always liked paper. :)
Paper, I have an e-reader here but don't like it...

Supracentral;1835029 said:
Same here. I love books, but I like the Kindle a lot more than I ever thought I would... I've pretty much stopped buying paper books. And this is a good thing, because I probably have a couple of tons of paper books... I may donate them to charity now...
You can donate the King/Koontz ones to me ;)
(a LOT of mine went AWOL after the split with the Witch)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I must admit, I don't know how you guys find time to read as much as you seem to be on here, doing car stuff, and real world jobs and what not... I've forced myself to try to cut out things I didn't find especially fulfilling. Hence, no tv, and I've nearly peeled myself completely away from comment sections on the internet. Aside from the sheer entertainment value of the latter (plus how smart it will make you feel), I found it to be a TOTAL time waste.

I used to read all the Star Wars books until they got to a point where all the original established characters were more or less sidelined... they wrote them faster than I could read them, but they had some really good ones for about 12 years or so. :)

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I don't find a lot of time for reading. A book the size of Dragon Tattoo takes me about a month to finish between working on the 7M, working 40 hrs, martial arts class, computer games,...

And for me it's plastic. I thoroughly enjoy my Kindle Touch. I couldn't do a Fire or iPad for reading but the eInk is very easy on the eyes. Technical manuals are still best in paper form though. There's still no good way to have 20 stickies hanging out the side of a Kindle for easy reference.

austin

Apr 4, 2012
alberta
41x24oUxcgL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

Runaway Devil
true crime about a 12 year old who manipulates her 25 year old boyfriend to commit murder.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Finished "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes, halfway through "Dark Sun - The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb", same author.

Both excellent books, I'd highly recommend them!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
DreamerTheresa;1835694 said:
Game of Thrones.

I think the TV show is certainly honoring it quite well. But the book just has so much more soul.
So, kind of like LotR then? Lot more rewarding if you have the time and the imagination?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
te72;1836346 said:
So, kind of like LotR then? Lot more rewarding if you have the time and the imagination?

Honestly, Tolkien isn't 1/2 the writer that Martin is...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Supracentral;1836363 said:
Honestly, Tolkien isn't 1/2 the writer that Martin is...
That's high praise there sir... but I can't honestly see GoT being as big as it is if the source material wasn't good. Does Martin take a similar approach that Tolkien did, with LotR being a period piece on the world he lived in at large? Or did he create another universe from scratch without tying into the real world?

I love me some sci-fi and fantasy books, but I rarely find that I have downtime enough to read. I really have to force myself to.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Back from the dead! Just finished up Liberty Defined by Ron Paul. Good book if you ever wanted to know a morally defensible position on a good spread of political and social issues. A quick read at that, only about 325 pages, broken down into some 50 or so chapters. Highly recommend it to anyone who would ever consider voting, or has even a remote interest in the world we live in. ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sounds like a good one, I can't honestly say I've ever read any of King's books. How is it on pacing? That always seems to be the hangup for me, if a book is slow paced... it tends to lose me.