What are the limits?

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
I have a bone stock '89 n/a five speed with a fel-pro hg and arp bolts. 140k on it and second clutch.

As much as I would love to go out and try all this stuff, I really don't want to blow my trans in the process. I need my car right now.

What will it do? I know from the few I have done, that she really likes to launch from around 2250 rpm. 2500 squeals too much. But here's where I'm curious, will my w58 and non-lsd diff handle a 3-4k launch, or will my gears be lying on the pavement?

I know it is non-lsd, but if I was to cut the wheel, dump the clutch and nearly floor it, would it do doughnuts? Half a doughnut? Would it just spin one wheel? Or would I break something?

Has anybody ever tried launching a non-turbo in 2nd?

What does it take to break one of these cars? Thanks guys, like I said, it sounds like fun to try this stuff, but I need this car and need it to last as well. Thanks!

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Without a LSD you will spin one tire 99% of the time.

You can't do donuts unless two are spinning, nor can you really drift (you can slide, but you can't drift). A healthy non turbo motor can spin the tires just fine for messing around in a parking lot. You can launch in whatever gear you want, so experiment to see what works best for you.

You can always break something if it's old or worn, and all of these cars are old, and most of them are worn.

The diff would probably hold up fine unless it's really worn out, same with the W58. They are strong, but they aren't stupid proof. Doing that kind of stuff... your clutch will probably be the first thing to die.

If breaking things is a huge concern, don't do anything that would make you think "hey, I'm going to break something" till you have enough spare money or spare parts that it won't screw you over if you do break something.

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Good info. I kinda figured with the donut thing. But I wanted second opinions on the transfer and dif because I know that the r154 is much stronger and the LSD dif is likely to be as well. Thanks for the input though. It's always good to know the weak links

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
I did donuts with my n/a last year and received a very nice rod knock :) spring came and then I picked up another supra. If you're low on budgets then I suggest to baby it.

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
The thought of rod knock makes me cringe. How hard is that to get with these engines? Usual causes? And think my NA could do a nice heel and toe burnout?

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Hmm, if you wanna buy my n/a for parts then go for it. But its really easy to destroy the car because of the age. But I wouldn't do burn outs if I were you.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
The NA is a rugged drivetrain, the gearbox lives behind V8's in other vehicles, the diffs aren't troublesome in the slightest.
Enjoy the fine car Toyota built years ago, when they were truly world leaders in engineering and reliability.
If the age of teh car worries you, spend money on maintenence.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'm guessing you're going to break the car.

My advice is dont bother trying to doing donuts in an open diff NA. You'll look foolish when only one wheel spins and you get rod knock trying to do a burnout.

If you need your car, this is all a waste of time. Don't do any of those things.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
hey...it runs;1810999 said:
The thought of rod knock makes me cringe. How hard is that to get with these engines? Usual causes? And think my NA could do a nice heel and toe burnout?

Usual causes: Low oil, overrev. It's not hard. Keep it full of GOOD oil, and shift at 6K, you should be fine. The N/A's have surprising torque, a burn out shouldn't be hard. But, if you really need your car right now, now is not the time to be beating on the car.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
If you need this car don't do anything stupid. But some ppl are just gonna do what they're gonna do so if you must do donuts at least have 6 quarts of oil in the pan before doing it.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I'd put 7 quarts... I use 7 in my GTE and i beat the ever living shit out of my car just be prepared if it breaks and don;t be surprised.

Donuts are not really my thing but drifting is very much fun my car has held up very well although i do not have a GE i'm sure they are just as strong as the GTE.

I launch my car at 5000Rpms at the strip this was on a prepped track and a full BPU 60-1 @10psi 6times in a row they can handle the punishment if taken care of

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
With quick shifting and decent launch (2.2-2.4), a stock 7MGE with proper functioning ACIS and W58, will turn mid to high 15 at 88-90, depending on the weather and your individual car. 2.2-2.4 on the sixty foot is actually lousy, but with street tires and an open diff, that is all you can hope for.

hidenplanvew

Feb 4, 2012
Colorado
If you want to do it just go out and do it... If you break something its all on you... If you really want to do it, try it in the snow or rain alot less abuse on things

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
I've played in the rain and snow it just bites so much harder on dry clean pavement. And add extra oil? That sounds like a horrible idea. Can somebody explain why you would put in a quart+ more than what Toyota tells you?

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Btw Jimbo, my bhg looked almost identical to yours. Same cylinders (and number 2 I think) and side of the engine and all.

Btw guys I appreciate the input.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
hey...it runs;1811477 said:
I've played in the rain and snow it just bites so much harder on dry clean pavement. And add extra oil? That sounds like a horrible idea. Can somebody explain why you would put in a quart+ more than what Toyota tells you?

Most everybody will put an extra quart in to help prevent starving the oil pump under hard cornering and braking. Won't hurt anything.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
hey...it runs;1811477 said:

The oil system sucks. Hard.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
hey...it runs;1811478 said:
Btw Jimbo, my bhg looked almost identical to yours. Same cylinders (and number 2 I think) and side of the engine and all.

Btw guys I appreciate the input.

My entire exhaust side was fried.

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I have an 89 NA bone stock with open diff. It spins both rear tires on launch probably 75% of the time, depending on the condition of the pavement under each tire. I have even had it break both tires loose grabbing 2nd gear... rear end stepped right out! lol :)