Whacked Timing D:

Max Vador

Apr 25, 2010
chicago
okay. 86.5 NA manual. it ran rich. real rich. gas out the exhaust rich. checked the timing. 22 BTDC..wow

brought it back down to 13. adjusted the idle screw back to around 1200 rpm.

no power. none. it dogged from 1200-3000 rpm then barely picked up past that.

screwed with the idle air screw, nothing. brought the timing back to around 2000 and it was back to normal.

what is this timing supposed to be at because under manual it says 10-13 BTDC. i haven't changed the cams or anything else in the car. stock internals. and i can't just say "ahh i'll just leave it at 20" cause it's squirting gas and i'm pulling 14 MPG right now :/

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
I just went through this ordeal.

heres what I did.

Put #1 piston at TDC. On the intake stroke.
You have to take the cam / timing cover off and the intake stroke for me was when
the hash marks on the cam covers where at about 12:00..Was a very little to the right of 12:00..Like 12:03
then set your rotor in the dizzy to plug #1, just a tad before it though. [to the left]
Also #1 plug on the dizzy should be at 12:00

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Perhaps your problem is that you're setting the idle @ the wrong RPM? As RPM increases your timing reading will change, so you may be setting it to something it shouldn't be.. IIRC with the diag jumped (or for NA.. vac removed from dist. ?) RPM should be ~650.. I say this because you say you're messing with the screw and changing your idle 1000-2000 ..

This is to the best of my knowledge, I'd check the TSRM if you're unsure ;)

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Set the timing right, and post back
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/setting_timing.aspx

These instructions are for the turbo model, so start at step 4.

Does the timing change when you hook up the jumper? If it does not change, then the timing can NOT be set.

Then if you cannot get it in time, following those instructions, do what slow_yota said and verify cam and dist timing.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
jetjock;1585445 said:
Ugh. From that link:

"....if it is blinking slowly you have error codes stored. You can still set your timing no problem...."

JJ, I think he just means that even if there's codes store you can still set the timing. I don't think he means, if you have a problem go ahead and set your timing anyways ;) But I can certainly see the confusion..

Max Vador

Apr 25, 2010
chicago
okay thanks i'll try setting it up from TDC and redoing it. and i can't set my idle back down to 700 as the the TSRM says cause i have a faulty TPS sensor and it cuts the car off sometimes when it's that low

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Max Vador;1585362 said:
okay. 86.5 NA manual. it ran rich. real rich. gas out the exhaust rich. checked the timing. 22 BTDC..wow

brought it back down to 13. adjusted the idle screw back to around 1200 rpm.

no power. none. it dogged from 1200-3000 rpm then barely picked up past that.

screwed with the idle air screw, nothing. brought the timing back to around 2000 and it was back to normal.

what is this timing supposed to be at because under manual it says 10-13 BTDC. i haven't changed the cams or anything else in the car. stock internals. and i can't just say "ahh i'll just leave it at 20" cause it's squirting gas and i'm pulling 14 MPG right now :/

The engine timing is probably off. Meaning teeth on the CPS.

Max Vador

Apr 25, 2010
chicago
well it's thrown codes for TPS and knock sensor. i figured once i get the new TPS and set the timing right it might correct the knock sensor. i miss my celica and it's MAP

Max Vador

Apr 25, 2010
chicago
the screw on the back of the throttle body that adjusts where it stops? or the idle air screw? which one are you referring to iwannadie?

and what the hell is the point of a knock sensor if it doesn't readjust the timing itself? just to tell you it's off and have a nice day?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Max Vador;1585841 said:
the screw on the back of the throttle body that adjusts where it stops? or the idle air screw? which one are you referring to iwannadie?

and what the hell is the point of a knock sensor if it doesn't readjust the timing itself? just to tell you it's off and have a nice day?

The air screw, from my understanding you can adjust that but the ECU will just over ride it and set the idle. I could be wrong but I remember reading a few threads that talked about that adjust screw and that the ECU sets the idle.

Max Vador

Apr 25, 2010
chicago
i thought only MAP equipped cars do that? and yeah i leave that all the way open and use the stop screw on back to hold the idle near 1000

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
So are you trying to fix your car, or cover up all the problems?

If you know you have issues, those need to be fixed first, so the rest of the system can function.

So far, car runs like crap
has tps issue
knock sensor issue
IAC issue
cant set timing
idle is too high
turning screws that should not be touched
loose nut behind the wheel

And you wonder why your car runs like crap?

Max Vador

Apr 25, 2010
chicago
car runs fine, but not how it's supposed to run fine. it's fine with the timing at 22 BTDC but i know it's not SUPPOSED to be there, that's why i'm trying to fix it to turn it back. i'm just fixing it enough to sell it for a good price, so don't expect me to run out and spend a fortune n repairs, which is why i'm asking how to fix many of the things on here. but it's a daily driver so if i have to screw with an idle stop screw so it's driveable then so be it

86.5ny

Apr 26, 2010
OC, NY
22 BTDC is frickin ridic and youre idle is way high, I would check the TPS as per tsrm and the TPS wiring to the ECU for any shorts before you get a new one. Same deal with the knock sensor. Brand new TPS can be expensive as hell something like $80 on driftmotion.

jetjock;1585537 said:
That's true of stored codes but not the one code that doesn't get stored, if it's caused by the TPS. If that's the case timing cannot be set...

amen JJ, my motor was stuck at 5 deg BTDC and would NOT change because of the faulty TPS that came from my original motor. new JDM TB and JDM TPS and timing was set and amazing.