whaaaaa bent rods suck!

89mkthree

supies ignore irish luck!
Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
well boys the concensus is in, and the verdict is....... bent connecting rod. :cry:

so i guess its time for some serious thought. do i buy a new engine or do i rebuild mine :wtc: for right now id like to know what my best option is. my current engine has 100000 miles on it and perfect compression (well it did). i have no idea how it got bent but it did and now its crunch time. any advice you guys could give me would be great. i would really like to have it fixed by summer so i can have my 325 rwhp beast (or puppy) back to cruise in :eek3dance

thanks guys

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
TTIWWOP! but yea i agree that a piston would let go before a rod unless you were running crazy something...

glntom

Apr 13, 2005
Glenwood, AR
The only bent rods I have seen were due to water in the cylinder. Did it once myself when a head developed a crack on my racecar(355 sbc). Anyone seen one bent for other reasons??

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I do not beleive it's possible to have perfect compression and a bent rod. Just my thoughts though. I would rebuild your current engine if I were you, but build it right, put in forged pistons ya know things of that sort.

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
Well, my engine (7M-GTE) is in machine shop now, and they say, that I need new rod (for 6th cylinder). But I have BHG, may be there was water in cyl, and it caused bent(i think) rod...

to 89mkthree: in what cylinder do you have bent con-rod?

89mkthree

Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
ok so my auto teacher says its prolly a spun bearing. so im gunna pull the oil pan to check it out...no fun. )i said i had perfect compression before i had the rod go. ) if it is a bearing does that warant a full rebuild or just the bearings?

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I doubt i'd ever replace just bearings on a 100k+ mile engine. Nothing short of a full rebuild if there is a bottom-end issue. It just does not make sense to do all that work to replace just bearings...

89mkthree

Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
ok im thinking along the lines of swapping in a jdm motor, to those people out there that have done it, is this a good option? and are those motors a safe bet?